Exhaust Packing For Performance And Volume!

Steelsey

Can anyone shed some light on this subject that I can not seem to get any answer to?

I've got some TBR C4 exhausts on my VTR SP1 and have begun to repack them. The current packing is a fibre glass style outer wadding with a wire wool wrap around the core!

I want to repack the cans but I don't want to decrease the sound volume or performance! What is the best way to tackle this? What is the wire wool for or do?

I've looked all over the web trying to find an answer but everything points to sound deadening and nothing talks about the science or reasons to using what materials in the muffler! I mean what is in a WSB bike can vs a road going bike?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

The wire wool is there to provide a barrier between the hot exhaust gasses, and the the glass packing.

Ahh cheers man, that clears one of my questions!

Been contemplating wrapping the internal pipe with heat shield exhaust wrap then wadding!

It's stainless steel wire wool BTW.

If you use regular wire wool you'll get a pleasing shower sparks out the silencer as the steel wool fibres catch fire...

That's cleared up an annoying issue from years back. Packed the reverse cone mega on my BSA with wire wool and it was gone after one ride. So stainless will put up with the heat huh?

Wrap the wool around the pipe, then the wrap and keep it there with stainless zip ties. Put the sleeve back on and then the cap, you need to use sealed pop rivets (otherwise they'll leak).

There's no performace drop becuase you're not changing the diameter of the pipes, a race might not have any sound deadening but that's more to do weight.

WEAR GLOVES

The stainless wool will cut and the glass in the wadding will work into your hands

BimCan21.jpg

BimCan26.jpgBimCan01.jpg

Archived