Exhaust Coating ?

willbloke

What's the best paint/coating for painted two stroke pipes/expansion chambers ?

I've heard about high faluting ceramic coatings ,are they any good , do they have to be applied by some special magic process ?

What would cope with the heat and the relentless blast of salty water ?

All supposed hi-temp paints I've used before just haven't lasted .

I want to restore some pipes back to standard -ish looking , but want them to last as they are NLA.

If you're interested it's for an NS400 and a TS125X !

Ta muchly .

Halfords do a high temp exhaust rattle paint, this:

6696756C-3B7D-4C32-92A2-5754B5B3C6F9-8276-0000154A7D14E8FA_zps3011c80f.jpg

It's extremely good, I can't recommend it enough. Test it on something first because you may not like the finish though. Personally I think it'll be perfect for what you're after and cheap.

I can't comment on the ceramic coating process but as far as rattle can paint goes, I've always had good results with Plastikote BBQ paint, cheap as chips from Wilko's. The all singing all dancing Sperex VHT type paints have always gone a nasty shade of grey on me, waste of money IMO. The Plastikote stuff seems to stay black and lasts well, depending on how good your prep is, which seems to be they key to making it last.

Lush , thanks chaps , something to think about :icon_salut:

Halfords do a high temp exhaust rattle paint, this:

6696756C-3B7D-4C32-92A2-5754B5B3C6F9-8276-0000154A7D14E8FA_zps3011c80f.jpg

It's extremely good, I can't recommend it enough. Test it on something first because you may not like the finish though. Personally I think it'll be perfect for what you're after and cheap.

Ok went to Halfrauds yesterday , they didn't have black only the metallic black stuff , is it only the metallic black that you recommend Marc ?

It's all I've used matey. In reality it's much more of a metallic grey than black. The cap indicator is pretty spot on. Personally I really like the finish and it's lasted perfectly on hot four stroke headers. Much hotter than your spannies will get.

Not too fussed on the NS400 pipes (you can't really see them) , but the TSX should really be black , it's the law !

Not too fussed on the NS400 pipes (you can't really see them) , but the TSX should really be black , it's the law !

see above. they make black.

see above. they make black.

Sorry Blur our posts crossed over as I was replying to Marc.

Have you used the VHT stuff yourself ?

A quick Google seems to reveal people having trouble with it flaking and bubbling ?

A quick Google seems to reveal people having trouble with it flaking and bubbling ?

Been using it for 30 years.

I did my first car exhaust from header to outlet tip on one car when i was 18. I'm now 50.

I also used the clear over the top.

Horror stories are probably there with all brands of paint.

As long as the surface is clean it sticks.

I am still using VHT paint even today.

They make paint for many applications.

Their engine enamel for example is world class.

It's cheap, so the worst that can happen is you're out 10 quid for a can.

They even make caliper paint.

Don't forget that VHT is often just the term used by many paint makers to mean Very High Temperature so other people's experiences may not actually relate to the exact brand of paint Blu's talking about willbloke.

I'd take his advice, trust me he's as fussy as they come and if it works for him to his satisfaction, it'll do the job for you.

he's as fussy as they come

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

On a side note. i tried to dinoc my undertail. It's crap. It wont form to multiple angles.

I then sprayed it with black 'plasti-dip' and it's also pretty crap.

So see, i do hate products too.

Right , yes I've used Simoniz VHT which is utter shite .

is this the chap ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...953429700&ps=54

Do you really need the primer ?

Can't find it UK .

Yep,that's what i used, but i used the 'white' colour (don't ask it was 1980) lol.

I also used the clear topcoat to give it that 'glossy' look (again don't ask it was 1980) haha.

I didn't use primer, but my exhaust was VERY clean before spraying, as should ANY surface be for good results.

Archived