Zxr750 Fuel Pump

Kermit

Tried to start the ZXR750 L1 today and the bugger wouldn't fire up. I'd turned the fuel off and run the carbs dry at the end of last year. Well, October actually, but then I am a FWB).

When I switched the ignition on I couldn't hear the pump priming. If you switch the ignition on and press the gear lever so the neutral light goes out the pump should work to fill the carbs.

Nothing could be heard. The bike would turn over but never showed any inclination to fire up.

The pump was new last September ( genuine Kawasaki one) and the bike had been fully serviced (valves as well) at the same time and had been running well.

Any help will be much appreciated, before I drop a match in the tank.

Kermit.

Firstly, are you sure about the ignition on and into gear thing? I know on my ZX7R it only turned the pump over when the engine was actually running, which was a bummer because you'd probably run out of battery before you'd managed to prime the carbs if you ran out of fuel and didn't turn it to reserve fast enough.

Anyway, have a butchers at the fuel pump relay; the pump doesn't take its power directly off the ignition circuit, it's all via the relay, if that's stuck then your pump won't come on at all. If you're clever you'd take the plug off the pump and see if it's getting 12V when you think it should be (but of course, you'd have to be certain about the 'when should it be running' question first). If you're handy with a wiring diagram you'll be able to see which 2 pins on the relay send voltage to the pump itself and be able to short them out with a cunningly placed paper clip. I actually did this at the side of the road once with 2 small keys, using the keyring to make the circuit....

The killswitch is OK. Having once waited for the RAC when I'd stalled and knocked the killswitch off and the bike wouldn;t start I now make sure that it's the first thing I check.:facepalm:

I'll have a look at the relay tomorrow when I'm less inclined to hit the bike with the biggest hammer I can find.

She fired up. :icon_bounce:

I took her off the Abba stand put the side stand down and at the second stab of the button she roared into life.

As regards the priming routine. I worked on both my ZX7Rs. I could hear the pump whiring as you pushed the starter button.

Not sure I could hear it on the ZXR but there seemed to be a bit of noise. Anyway, it runs.

All I need now is some warm weather.

Thanks to all.

Kermit

Archived