Garage Roofing Condensation?

Dan

Hi all i have a block built garage in a block,we recently had the roofing replaced with metal sheeting

now i know that this could cause condensation,i was wondering if any one had any ideas how to combat this??

Hi all i have a block built garage in a block,we recently had the roofing replaced with metal sheeting

now i know that this could cause condensation,i was wondering if any one had any ideas how to combat this??

Insulate the ceiling.

Air circulation. I recommend 2 busty ladies, in sort of toga type things, standing either side of a roman-esque throne, wafting ostrich feathers on big long sticks.

Put a second skin of thin plywood on the underside & in the gap put Rockwool insulation in between, also to help your workspace stay light paint the plywood with a coat or two of white paint :biggrinvk4:

Put a second skin of thin plywood on the underside & in the gap put Rockwool insulation in between, also to help your workspace stay light paint the plywood with a coat or two of white paint :biggrinvk4:

Thinking along those lines for my lock-up when I move. Considering putting gyprock and insulation on the walls too.

I have a Trimetals garage that had the condensation problem. I went down the builders merchant and bought some insulation sheets and a tube of Gripfil.

Air circulation. I recommend 2 busty ladies, in sort of toga type things, standing either side of a roman-esque throne, wafting ostrich feathers on big long sticks.

I already have them next to my sofa!

Cellotex and an airbrick is your friend.Fixed my lock up when a corrugated metal roof was fitted.

How did you fix the cellotex to the roof?

What you really want to do is glue the insulation to the outside of the roof and put some paving slabs on the edges to stop the wind lifting it. This will stop the air from cooling as it touches the steel roof and the water vapour condensing.

You can put up an insulated ceiling but you want to have a vapour barrier (usually above the ceiling board) if you don't you still have condesation on the underside of the steel which will cause "damp" and fungus and staining and stuff ....

If you use a type of insulation cellotex Dow Styrofoam etc they'll have a manufacturers website, find the technical help line, tell them the knid of build you want and they'll let you know the thickness of insulation.

You shouldn't need an airbrick if you fit a ceiling there's probably enough ventilation under and around the door.

Lots of good advice there. Some times if you know the cause there are lots of solutions but this is the problem. Cold tin roof and warm moist air inside garage. So the main solution is to stop the warm air coming in contact with the cold tin roof. The air gap is important to let any later condensation out. A cheap option above was the styrofoam (the grey is better) glued to the sheeting 1' or 2'' but tape the joints and have no gaps at wall junctions so nice and tight more important than size. Your could also use the spray foam insulation for awkard little areas. Now make sure the wave of the sheet is open at both ends to let air pass through. I would also put in a high level vent through the wall to let out any trapped condensation out. Hope this helps.

Putting a second skin of thin plywood on the underside & then putting Rockwool insulation in between is what a mate of mine did & it worked perfectly & kept the heat in from his heater too!, I've been told they do the same in industrial buildings but they probably use thin steel sheet instead of plywood as it's less of a fire hazard.

It works by stopping moist air comming in to contact & condensing on the underside of the cold roof

Putting a second skin of thin plywood on the underside & then putting Rockwool insulation in between is what a mate of mine did & it worked perfectly & kept the heat in from his heater too!, I've been told they do the same in industrial buildings but they probably use thin steel sheet instead of plywood as it's less of a fire hazard.

It works by stopping moist air comming in to contact & condensing on the underside of the cold roof

Not exactly, there could still be condesation but it's forming above the plywood, probably in the insulation. Over time this can cause the steel roof to rust but then again it's a garage and it will take a while to cause real damage and you'll probably just reroof it.

Industrial units do use a steel liner but it beause it's an easier and cheaper material to use than ply or plasterboard, there's no decorating (or redecorating) and it can be riveted. There's no fire requirement for a roof.

How did you fix the cellotex to the roof?

My roof had exposed joists so just screwed it up with large washers to prevent the heads pulling through.Left a nice 120mm airgap above it too.It's so light you could probably stick it up.

Archived