Steering Dampers And Headrace Bearings

szrdave

Two separate questions here:

1 - I've just fitted a standard RSV Sachs steering damper to the Falco, and with the front wheel off the ground there is not as much resistance as I was expecting when turning the bars quickly from side to side.

Can anyone with a damper fitted comment on how it feels when you wiggle the bars?

2 - The SZR is going to get a new set of steering head bearings as I rebuild it, but simplybearings don't stock the required sizes. I don't want to buy cheap shit, and would like to avoid getting bent over by Yamaha if possible. Where do people get them from?

Cheers chaps!

'Standard' steering dampers very rarely have enough resistance to do much of anything. They have to cater for all levels of rider experience and bike use remember so they err on the side of caution and don't provide dampers that will hinder slow speed maneuvering. A side effect of that is they're rarely more than a token gesture when it comes to high speed needs.

You can't beat a good quality aftermarket damper and personally I prefer certain makes of speed reactive ones. Great manners at all speeds.

As for the headrace bearings, any of your local bike shops should be able to source you good quality aftermarket taper roller bearings as replacements for the standard kit. They should also be able to get you new dust shields too.

If you're wanting to do it online, places like Wemoto should be able to help although I'm not a fan of them. I'm in the trade so can get you some if it helps, just shoot me a pm with the bike details for a price tomorrow.

Take a look at your bearings themselves, while they're installed in the bike. Do you think you've got enough thread on the stem for things to go slightly higher? I bet if you were to add or remove a mm or so to the bearing height you'd be able to find something 'off the shelf'. I presume you've not just gone off your own measurements but you've taken the code off one of your bearings and get the sizes from there?

Or, as Mark says, Wemoto, they do either 'all balls' (which aren't actually balls, but taper rollers, they're a decent enough make) or unbranded japanese ones, for about £30 for the set inc seals. Even if you can find some cheapo ones on ebay etc, I'd not bother, for the hassle of doing head bearings I'd do it just once and spend £10 more on pukka gear. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I can't see any numbers on the bearings themselves so had just measured the ID of the seat and OD of the stem, however looking at Wemoto they list the sizes, which are slightly different from my measurements.

Simplybearings do list these sizes, but I'll drop you a pm anyway marcaztls...

I guess I'll just have to test the steering damper out, bumpy road and plenty of throttle and see if i end up on my arse :icon_blackeye:

Some dampers ( 5vy , the best of the R1's :biggrinvk4: ) can be refilled fairly easily , running 15w fork oil in mine at the mo , bit stiffer but it's now track use only so you don't notice it

Archived