Gurgling/bubbling Coolant

kwakbiker

Pulled into home tonight, turned the Versys off and got a sound like what a dry rad might sound like. Let it cool down for a bit, expansion tank has coolant in it, rad also has fluid in(bubbled out when cap loosened, bike been sat half hour), am I right in thinking I may have just turned the bike off just before the rad kicked in. Ran it up again, can see the fluid in the reservoir bubbling every know and then, ran it till fan kicked in so no probs there. No temp gauge on the V, just a warning light, that didnt kick in, no loss of power or strange noise on way home from work, pulsed the rubber hoses a couple of times in case of air lock. Gonna change the coolant friday but first time ive heard the bubbling/gurgling noise on any bike ive had but the expansion tank is next to the tank so quite near(but I do wear earplugs). Am I being paranoid, just seems the PO had a different idea of looking after a bike to me(getting fed up of seized fastners)

Edit to add, coolant level in expansion tank was same as week before when I had panels off so cant see any trace of losing coolant

It might be much more simple than that so no need to worry yet.

If it's bubbling in the expansion tank and the levels aren't changing then it is more likely that the seal on the radiator cap isn't sealing properly. A new rad cap will solve that.

i would like to add that you don't always get oil and water or vice versa mixing when the HG has gone.

I experienced this with my R1 right in the early days of ownership. Bike had been stood for 5 years since new.

one of the metal dowels that locates the head on the block had corroded and caused a pin-prick rupture to the the HG.

on tick-over the engine ran perfectly normally, it reached temperature as normal, the fan worked as normal, everything.

but under load the engine would over-pressurise the coolant and slowly the rad would empty as the expansion bottle filled, until it eventually overflowed.

NB no mixing of oil/water at any time.

I changed everything trying to fix it - temp sender, fan switch (even though both seemed to be working ok), rad cap, thermostat.

eventually I gave in and took it to my local yam dealers, their head mechanic at the time had seen another case identical to mine on a race bike and they swapped the HG.

Problem solved. At the time it wasn't something I could have tackled myself.

well plenty of food for thought there but there is no oil in water and vice versa(sorry should of said) and rad level not sure as didnt check that anytime prior but like I said the expansion tank stayed at similar level. Bike went fine to and from work today, no bubbling sound from expansion tank(cant see it though as its behind tank panel), still gonna change coolant tomorrow though. Maybe taking the rad cap off has sorted it, will let you know and keep an eye on that test kit in case and have a feel of the hoses, guessing should be hard when running(oo er) as its under pressure?

Not a massive amount of pressure no, the water circulates around the system but not at a great rate, especially at idle, if the rad hoses are stretched taught and hard to squeeze then you may have an issue, as you said it may have been simply some air in the system ad you fixed that by removing the rad cap, or perhaps you ride was a little more spirited than you thought and you'd boiled your coolant,, if your unsure just grab a sniff test

Had this problem before. Was down to a rad cap, replaced, sorted. As above, worth a simple try.

still havent changed coolant yet (will be done next couple as now on days off) but have found I can see the coolant bottle when riding(not ideal I know), cant see any bubbling when riding now, just general sloshing around, level staying constant so hoping it was just the rad cap needing a tweek(techinical term)

If as you say it was turned off just before the fan was about to kick in, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that it was just doing its thing, expanding into the tank and when it cooled went back to the rad......

well ive dropped the coolant this afternoon and I have to say...........I have no fecking idea what was in that rad, get the feeling it was seriously diluted anitfreeze as there was a very, very slight wiff but it was clear like water. Decent stuff/mix put in, ran her up, no obvious bubbling but what seemed like a bit of back pressure when shutting off from mid revs on the paddock stand, guessing it was clearing air from the system as level stayed ok(as it had from other day btw). Will now keep an eye on it and probably pop by the local shop and see if they have a sniffer just to be sure. Cheers for the pointers so far

Most car workshops have a vacuum filler

Goes on the rad cap sucks all the air out then fills with coolant(used because of filling the car heater) hth

Archived