Antiquated Ignition Systems (Points). Bah.

2Smoke

My LDD bike decided to repay me for MOT'ing it and giving it an oil change.

It did a previous trick of a misfire on No 1 & 4 cylinders, which was cured by fitting new points and condensers. Sure enough, looking at the points whilst running, the set for the outer cylinders is arcing away merrily. Bugger.

It has now eaten 3 sets of condensers, well, 3 condensers but as they come as a fixed pair, the other 3 are goosed too. It's always the outer cylinders, and I have swapped the (now knackered) condensers over and the misfire moves to the inner cylinders.

So, for some reason, the outer cylinders are eating condensers.

Any ideas why? There is an aftermarket coil powering No 1&4 cylinders, could this be destroying condensers somehow?

There are new points fitted, gapped and timed as per the manual.

Any help appreciated!

i know nothing about points etc., but something in the depths of my memory says ballast resistor. can you measure the impedance of the coils? see fi they are the same?

If the Condensors you are using are anything like those available for old cars these days, they will be shit.I have to run points on some of the race cars Iook after, and have given up on using anything automotive, and use a suitable capacitor from the RS Catalogue.

Jamie could be on to something, I seem to remember some types of coil need a Balast resistor while others don't.

If they are failing then I would suspect that you may have the wrong spec condensers and they cant cope with the heat produced?...or they may be wired up wrong?..

The purpose of the condenser is not to stop the spark across the points when they part, its purpose is to get rid of the secondary charge that is created in the coil primary windings when the coil is triggered coming back to the points and sparking.

The condenser must be balanced to that primary winding current. If your after market coil is more powerful it will overload the condenser.

Original coil or find the correct condenser value for the new coil.

The purpose of the condenser is not to stop the spark across the points when they part, its purpose is to get rid of the secondary charge that is created in the coil primary windings when the coil is triggered coming back to the points and sparking.

The condenser must be balanced to that primary winding current. If your after market coil is more powerful it will overload the condenser.

Original coil or find the correct condenser value for the new coil.

Thanks, how might I go about doing this?

I've fitted an original coil and a good condenser. Will try it out this weekend!

Thanks all, harmony may soon be replaced in the garage. Or the Zshed will be on fire.

Thanks, how might I go about doing this?

I've fitted an original coil and a good condenser. Will try it out this weekend!

Thanks all, harmony may soon be replaced in the garage. Or the Zshed will be on fire.

Easiest way is to find out the coils manufacturer and use their recommendation.

Archived