Which Calipers For 996, Brembo 40Mm Or 65Mm

micro-monkey

in a bit of a hole thinking what to do. i am changing the calipers on my 996 for a set of billet versions.

the options i have are brembo 2 piece billet calipers with 40mm mounts so will have to have adaptor mounts to fit the 65mm showas on my bike. they are £460 plus £70 for the adaptor brackets.

my prefered option are discacciati 6 piston 65mm mount billet calipers for £485. i run alot of discacciati parts on my bikes and know the quality is bob on.

both these calipers are 2 pad calipers.

my other option which is cheaper are the later cast brembo p4 4 pad calipers.

i am not too keen on adaptor plates so which should i buy.

I can't answer your question, but my personal experience means I am inclined to ask what make of billet caliper are you buying? (and 4 or 6 pot etc)

I had a pair from a well known maker on my K1 1000 race bike and they were awful, truly awful.

Nice bling, no sting. They had no feel, no power and they overheated at the drop of a hat.

And pad buying was a nightmare - only Bendix made them at £140 a set, and they didn't last long.

I ended up putting a set of 996 calipers on, Stopped exactly as planned from that point on and had millions of pads to choose from.

I went from 2 piece cast 40mm Brembos to billet and they feel more possative. I also went from a Goldline axial to a billet radial master the Bimota uses the old iron rich discs too.

When I brake you kind of have to wait for the discs to build heat (the reality is you brake light and then squeeze more) I don't know if it's different for other setups. I guess what I'm saying is look at the whole system not just one componant. Would you look at changing the forks for example, if so you may think about a radial caliper or use a fork that would have an adapter as standard.

I have a dicacciati radial master cylinder already. I have managed though to source a bargain pair of calipers. Basically they are brembo p4 4 pad, 4 pad calipers, except they are the rebranded grimeca versions. got em for £65

Archived