Front End Conversion - Advice Please (Engineers Look In Here!)

tsp

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the mega weedy front end on my Guzzi but I'm not sure what to do...

It's got pathetic 32mm forks on it and if my stupid plan of taking it on track ever comes about they just won't hack it.

Is it a matter of buying a front end, having the stem pressed out and having the Guzzi stem pressed in with shims?

The other problem I can see is spacing the calipers inwards, the front wheel is pretty skinny so I'd have to space the callipers a fair way, is this safe?

Any help would be appreciated if you would be so kind :D

pretty simple thing.

like you say, choose a front end and swap the stem or bearings.

Can get more complicated if you are trying to keep the original wheel and discs. but its just a matter of measuring up and/or making spacers etc. and maybe a spindle or some top hats.

Bloody good excuse to get a set of custom yokes made up too

I'm just fitting a complete K5 GSXR1000 front end into a blackbird, just having a stem made for the GSXR yokes.

the 3 spoke matches the bird 3 spoke so alls good. If you wanted,..you might think about steering stops too,..but they can be sorted easy enough

might be as easy just to get your current forks re-sprung and set up properly than do a front end swap.

you'll be suprised how much it can improve any track work.

I'm confident the stops can be sorted easily.

I'd love custom yokes, the bank balance wouldn't though...

You make a good point on the wheels, I'd love to change the wheels and if the bugger wasn't a shaft drive I would put wider wheels in.

Thanks for the reply buddy :)

Oh and it's got antique air assisted forks fitted... Same fork seal size as a DT175 :D

Okey doke, you've got a couple of options, or at least there's 2 options I'd look at:

Firstly, you can swap the whole front end, forks, brakes, wheel, yokes. So long as the length of the stem on your bike matches the stem on the yokes you're swapping to, within about 3 or 4 mm, it'll probably be a case of swapping the bearings in the headstock. Get yourself onto simplybearings and put in the size of your headstock, the new yoke and suss out the heights you need to match your new stem length. The only thing left then is to work something out with the lock stops, plus if you speedo is cable driven from the front wheel you might have an issue too. These are but details, the main getting a new front end thing is done. If the stem is massively different to what you're frame is going to take then you're looking at either modifying the new stem, or getting your old stem pressed into those yokes. Bit of a pain to be honest, I'd just look at going for a stem that fits better. As a very rough rule of thumb, ally frames headstocks tend to be a bit beefier than steel, so you'll probably be looking at front ends from bikes with steel frames. Probably...

Secondly, you an do all of the above, but try and get your original wheel to fit. This'll mean getting back onto simplybearings and sussing out wheelbearings that'll adapt your wheel to the new axle, then get spacers made up for inside the wheel itself and either side of it too. Then you'll want brackets machining to allow the calipers to meet the discs as I'd be very surprised that the discs magically find themselves in the right place in relation to the calipers.

It's pretty straightforward if you've got all the parts in front of you to look at. We did a front end swap on a ZXR750 H1 race bike recently and the fella wanted a ZX7R front end put in. We pressed the stems out, made a bush to fit over the ZXR stem and in the ZX7R yoke then pressed the ZXR stem into the ZX7R yoke. We then made some spacers to make the ZXR stem and ZX7R top yoke fit each other.

It'd be better to space the discs out rather than the calipers in, or a combination of the two if there's a huge gap to cover.

Another issue to look at would be front wheel travel, if the Guzzi wheel is larger than 17" and you're thinking of putting a front end meant for a 17" wheel in then you might run into problems when the front is fully compressed (with the tyre hitting the bottom yoke or anything else in that area).

Ah some brilliant points thanks to both of you :)

The wheel travel point is very valid... The front end of the bike is pretty cramped as it is.

Also, the ally frame/steel frame point is useful to remember thank you.

Argh, what to do.

That's bloody cheap :D but twice the amount I paid for the bike haha

I have been looking through your posts and pictures though and may e-mail you for a couple of things if it's OK?

Archived