Clutch Drag / Difficulty Engaging Neutral

Rick448

I am having a bit of difficulty engaging neutral as it appears the clutch is dragging slightly. I am hoping this just needs adjusting at the pushrod end though i'm not sure. I will have to look one day in the week. When i engage first (with a clunk) I can feel it dragging slightly. If anyone has any ideas why this would be it may save me looking at the wrong thing. This is a used engine i have fitted so i'm hoping it just needs adjusting. Though if it needs parts replacing what is it likely to be?

This is a GSXR750Y with K1 motor fitted. Cable clutch.

Cheers,

slacken the clutch leaver right off....on the spoket cover you will see the big grommet,remove you will see a lock nut on a bolt,un do the lock nut a few turns,the head of the bolt is slotted to take a flat blade driver,screw the iner bolt in till you feel it gain pressure then wind it back 1/2 a turn(i like it this way faster bite on the clutch) then tighten the lock nut up,but you can go 1 full turn back,then reset the clutch leaver back up,this sets your amount of clutch activation ,seems like your does not have the right amount of foreplay.

My old YZ125 was bad for this. I found the clutch basket to have notches in it where the friction plates had been wearing against it.

Dressed them up with a file and all was well in the world again.

Used engine? Is it the correct oil? You sure some clever person has not put car oil in the bike..if they have then the clutch plates will be contaminated.It does happen.

Id be inclined to whip the clutch off to check it all (basket,plates in spec) and then put fresh oil in there and adjust the clutch cable for correct free play and see how she goes.

10w/40 oil for that engine 3.1ltrs

10-15mm free play control lever free play

:icon_salut:

Thanks all. I've put fresh oil in today. Ill double check everything on my day off this week. I'm hoping its just adjustment. I guess at worst I can swap the clutch from my other engine.

Checked the oil level? My 750 used to have difficulty engaging neutral if there was a bit too much oil in the bike.

That's a possibility as I did fill it right up to the f line and its hard to be sure it's exactly upright without someone to hold it.

Cable is lubed and free of snags. What actually causes clutch drag? Is it warped plates? I've never stripped a clutch before. Is it a hard job if I buy a clutch holding tool?

Well I've adjusted the cable and pushrod adjuster and dropped a little oil to take it just below the full line. It was slightly above. All seems well now however I've not taken it for a proper run as its raining and also the missus would kill me if I spend any more time with the bike. Fingers crossed its sorted now.

Thanks all.

Archived