Nasty Coloured Ally Fasteners

Mark/Foggy

Learnt a great tip from Cuban Pete recently.

Stick an anodised fastener in a high Caustic Soda solution and it turns a fetching shade of Black.

Which is nice, a lot.

Any bright ideas on how to dull down/blacken bright Titanium anybody?

must be some metalurgists/magii on here.

tey bit of heat and some old oil dip in and Betty is your ante :icon_salut:...nice and used look :rock:

1. The range of voltage for making gold or blue color of the titanium surface ? For a gold color it is necessary 60 V. But Kobe orientation is 70 V. For a blue color: 30 V

2. The electrolytic solution for anodizing process of titanium is H2SO4 + water

Elias

:icon_salut:

Send the Ti fasteners to me. I will return them looking exactly like grade 8,8 hex heads. I can do zinc or self coloured. :biggrinvk4:

ti bolt heated to bright red hot then let cool naturally now golden brown ,top one is bright ti the bottom one is heat treated gold brown ti,used look..sorry pic does it no justice but it,s golden brow.

image_zps2f2c8abf.jpg

ti is used in the chemical industry for it ability to with stand corrisoin to acids,but i domt know a bout a good night on the piss and then pissing on it??..may go black?

The second jewelry company that markets black titanium jewelry made by an allegedly true black titanium alloy is Absolute Titanium Designs. They are less open regarding the manufacturing process that is employed in order to obtain this type of alloy. It does seem that is a process that is changing the inner structure of the metal, and I must say the results are pretty impressive, especially because of the variety of the black nuances that are available. ti_color_spectrum.jpgAnodizing titanium is a good compromise for a technique that produces black titanium jewelry. The color lacks the durability, versatility and integrity of a true black titanium alloy, but the costs are greatly reduced. The coating is built up on the metal either by heating, chemical, or electrolytic means. In the case of titanium, the layer is an oxide of titanium. Coloring can be done by heating, but without much control of either color or uniform appearance. The most common method is to form an oxide layer by electrolytic means, similar to the process used in electroplating. As the voltage increases, the thickness of the layer also increases. Certain colors will appear at specific voltage levels. The "change" from one color to another is not sharply defined, but rather shades gradually through a limited spectrum.

Random googleage:

"Black titanium is made by taking pure titanium and placing it in a high-energy vacuum environment where it is sublimated and reacted with nitrogen. This creates a metal known as titanium carbon nitride (TiCN). As far as I know, that is the only way that it can ever change color."

If I was you I'd be careful heating Ti as it goes hard with heat which isn't what you'd want on important / structural parts .

I'm not 100% on how ti reacts to heat treating but if you don't temper tool steel ( so it goes straw colour ) after heating to red it ends up really brittle and can shatter easily

the bolts on the magnesium starter blank plate is a works suzuki ti bolts(the black ones) the rest are ome ti bolts,i have now got hold af a few of the xro? bolts so have a few more on the engine,the rest of the engine bolts are black.

the black ti bolts are aircraft grade bolts so iv been told?

Dave did tell me once that he put the shine ti on the magnesium clutch rear insert as he wanted the engine to look good did not like the black ti,so all good there then.

dscf1031p.jpg

you can seem them here as well all the internal bolts are AC grade bolts even the main head bolts

188so.jpg

Random googleage:

"Black titanium is made by taking pure titanium and placing it in a high-energy vacuum environment where it is sublimated and reacted with nitrogen. This creates a metal known as titanium carbon nitride (TiCN). As far as I know, that is the only way that it can ever change color."

I suspect that that is what I'm after, not exactly DIY after all :biggrinvk4:

As it goes, I may have to have a complete rethink on what I'm trying to do. The fastener that's pissing me off is screwed into a Mag casting. On reflection the potential for electrolytic corrosion presented by this situation doesn't bear thinking about. Essentially Ti is about as noble a metal as possible barring Platinum and Gold. When I start the bike up and get a current running through it, the first sight of moisture and I can expect a nasty fizzing noise as the precious Mag casting does all random on my sorry ass.

Looks like I'll be needing some good old fashioned Steel here.

Now on the subject of turning Steel a nice shade of Gun-Metal Grey, Remington/Colt used to heat treat the steel in powdered Whale bone to get the desired colour. Where do I get some of that then :eusa_think:

Japan?

:biggrinvk4:

Archived