R6 Fork Mods

Alex_H

I seem to remember a chap on here a while ago mentioning something he did to early R6 forks to make them a bit more suitable for the track, along the lines of DIY modifying the internals, but for the life of me I can't find it.

This thread stands to jog one of you lots memories lol, any help appreciated :)

What do you mean by "more suitable for the track"?

Basically suspension needs to fall within an accepted parameter of measurements.

Sag, spring rate, travel used,feel etc.

You can of course (depending on proficiency and tools avaliable) change springs, oil/airgap, adjust settings and even cartridge drop in kits yourself.

Johnnydeetz. Not sure of the spellinng

He puts a shim stack in from a different fork.

Spring rates are easy you just buy the right rate spring

Well Ive done it, but it could have been someone else has done it too..

I put R6 internals in some old 38mm forks for classic racing, but if you just want to mod some R6 forks its much easier !

I have the specs at home, if you want I can get it all tonight?

But it basically involves replacing the rebound piston with a proper one and also changing the compression piston (the ones in mine are CBR 4 port pistons, drilled to 2mm) and building new shim stacks and changing the needle angle...usual basic race stuff really.

arf! Who'd you think I am, Sie?

Oh wait, he never did any step by step guides either......

:D

I will do some step by step to convert standard into Kit YEC spec..... :biggrinvk4:

Joking apart, I dont have to strip any forks down so wont be doing any cartoon comic strips, but will just copy my notes and shim spec....did I mention they are Kit spec?

Am racing the Duc this year, the RG wont be used much as its just too fragile to be raced hard, but Dad is palnning to do a few TSGB rounds on it, top man !

Nicely done on all counts.

You doing the full series? Absolutely desperate to come and dribble over your duke lol :D

The plan is to do all rounds yes, its the first time Ive ever had any money to be able to do it, without running out half way through. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to this year and hope to put the ol' 2 valver on the podium as many times as I can !

Well Ive done it, but it could have been someone else has done it too..

I put R6 internals in some old 38mm forks for classic racing, but if you just want to mod some R6 forks its much easier !

I have the specs at home, if you want I can get it all tonight?

But it basically involves replacing the rebound piston with a proper one and also changing the compression piston (the ones in mine are CBR 4 port pistons, drilled to 2mm) and building new shim stacks and changing the needle angle...usual basic race stuff really.

I'd love that mate, just got an r6 for trackdaying and as the forks are coming apart for new oil/seals/springs for me then I'd like to make them as good as I can while I'm at it :) Cheers mate :rock:

I'd love that mate, just got an r6 for trackdaying and as the forks are coming apart for new oil/seals/springs for me then I'd like to make them as good as I can while I'm at it :) Cheers mate :rock:

Will get the info tomorrow, not going to the workshop tonight...somethings come up. I'll just take a photo of the pages we need for you, shim spec, needle dimensions etc, it was good enough to win a few Superclub meetings on...and qualify on the, er second to last back row of British Supersport...how embarrassing and demorilzing, LOL !

You may as well get some 9.5 fork springs whilst your at it, when I raced them from 99 to 05 I ended up with 9.5 or 10 or a mix of both to get 9.75 average, with a 9.0 or 9.5 rear spring too. Shock lenght was always 305mm, going longer would push the front....until we modded the yokes for less offset, not really allowed but we werent the only ones doing it - first saw it in BSS and the penny clicked ! Big difference in holding its line.

Right, as promised the details are here. Ive simply took photos of the sheets from my bberry.

The 4 port pistons are from the CBR600FT-FW, so the cheapest way is to scoure ebay for a set of bent forks as you only want the pistons (and also the spare shims for your ever growing shim box).

R6 race details

img2013020200538.jpg

R6 race details

img2013020200539.jpg

I think these are standard Honda spec stuff.

img2013020200540.jpg

I think this was used at the TT for Keith Nichols, cant remember but it was an FX

img2013020200542.jpg

And some budget re-valve for a lad at Aintree for a ZXR400.

img2013020200544.jpg

The yoke mod for the top.

Bore out the stem hole, say another 3mm. Make a top hat to fit in that with a new stem hole but make the stem hole offset by 1mm, Insert the new eccentric top hat so it pushes the forks forwards. Now, you may think your going in the wrong direction here, but this pushes the contact at the tyre backwards, effectively reducing the offset.

If you do it right, and make the top hat LOOK like the original washer under the stem nut...no one will be able to tell....

You may be thinking 'this is gonna flex the bottom yoke?' well yes, it does, but its nothing really and you get far more flex by wheeling about your bike with no top yoke. In any case, we had no failures and did this for a number of people, including GSXR1000's, R6's and ZX6R's. It works very well. What it does is reduced the offset from 35mm to about 30mm, a big difference.

Hope this helps, but if it doesnt please dont blame me but with teh set up shown above, I could do anything with my old R6 and my supersport 600 lap record at Aintree on my 99 carb'd bike stood until 2007 ! I dont think they are even close to that now, in the PI class, but no reason why they shouldnt be, really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Righto lads, another quick question, I stripped the 2 sets of forks I had today just to have a look and do some swapping of the bases as one set had adjusters that were seized, the other set a bent stanchion, so I could basically make a good set out of both. Anyway, I opened up the damper rods out of curiosity and found the innards to be quite different: IMAG1060_zps0b84a2b0.jpg just wondering if the shiny one in the pic is just from a later bike? Even though the forks are both labelled 5EB :eusa_think:

Archived