Off With It's Head....but Where Do I Send It?!

Armi

Long story short, I have to strip the engine........I know jack shit about this stuff and am getting help.

What I'd like to know though is, when you guys get work done on the heads, what does that exactly involve and where to you guys send it?

Thanks guys :bow:

because the bottom end casing are fubar

have set of good casing here if you need them

better of with kent cams and hi comp pistons,know to a set of cossy pistions like the ones in my engine 146 rw

because the bottom end casing are fubar

have set of good casing here if you need them

better of with kent cams and hi comp pistions

Why are you still here? You should be doing research on the RELATE website. Or wearing a gimp mask and licking humble, hairy pie.

Sie: (when you've sorted the wife out) as you well know, he'll need more than piston and cams if you go down that route... Armi: are you prepared for a large bill? 450 for the head machining ? 1000 for labour, gaskets, cams, pistons, rods, valve springs etc etc

Might be aswell blueprinting the bottom end, port, flow, skin head, cams if available.. But your heading into wallet busting territory

Apologies if this is obvious...

Not obvious to me mate.I know nothing when it comes to engine rebuilds.At the same time i don't wanna spend big bucks..........I can hear Sie laughing in the background but this is what happened.

Had a small of and the bike was leaking oil.....on further inspection, it turned out to be an allen bolt on the crankcase just below the stator cover.

I thought i'd helicoil it and while doing so, noticed this!

DSC03443.jpg

Most of you would've STOPPED then and got it welded smiley_dunno.gif I like the plum that I am, carried on but it was a concern.

I began to tap a new thread in and then this happened;

DSC03447.jpg

It's only gone and taken a huge chunk out of the crankcase smiley_banghead.gifcrying2.gif

Anyway posted on another forum and it was suggested to put a plug/slug in it and get it welded, or use a epoxy called Devcon, which is supposed to be really good!

After beating myself up and being offered help, i've decieded to replace the crankcases.

Of course with the help of someone.had I not recieved this generous souls help, i'd have plugged it but it would always be on the back of my mind and i don't want to hurt myself, or anyone behind me on track, in case it lets go.

So with that said.I thought, if the heads coming off, i may as well get some work done to it....nothing major.

So any suggestions that won't be wallet busting? thanks :biggrinvk4:

Unfortunately too many people think blueprinting means running around the inside of the cases with a dremel and charging shit loads for the privilege.

bit of headwork, maybe cams too would be my starting point.

why don't you just replace the crankcases and leave it as standard?

otherwise, what are you wanting to achieve from the engine work?

Not obvious to me mate.I know nothing when it comes to engine rebuilds.At the same time i don't wanna spend big bucks

So with that said.I thought, if the heads coming off, i may as well get some work done to it....nothing major.

So any suggestions that won't be wallet busting? thanks :biggrinvk4:

it doesn't sound to me like you really know, but whatever you do, other than replace the cases, is going to cost 'big bucks' to some degree or another

Sorry to hijack the thread (slightly) but I had considered picking up a complete second hand 750 carb SRAD head off the 'bay (currently one on there for £85) and sending it straight to a tuner to get the head flowed and the cams reground / replaced.

This is something I could sort over the summer, giving me a bolt on part to switch over during the winter.

Given that I have a free flowing pipe, Yoshi air-tubes and (hopefully soon) an air tray to replace the airbox, what is the learned opinion of those here present ??

Would this be worthwhile,and what sort of gains / cost could I expect from the work ?

Cheers chaps.

why don't you just replace the crankcases and leave it as standard?

otherwise, what are you wanting to achieve from the engine work?

it doesn't sound to me like you really know, but whatever you do, other than replace the cases, is going to cost 'big bucks' to some degree or another

I don't know..thats why I was asking.

I just thought if the engine was gonna be split, nows a good time to get any work done on it.

I'm no racer but enjoy trackdays and reliabilty and some extra power wouldn't go amiss..........I know power isn't everything.

The bike has money spent on the forks, ohlins shock, mjn jet kit, yoshi type ram air tubes, a full Sudco exhaust and other bits n bobs, also will hope to have an airtray, as V6Jon has mentioned.

I guess i'm asking the same question as him...

Sorry to hijack the thread (slightly) but I had considered picking up a complete second hand 750 carb SRAD head off the 'bay (currently one on there for £85) and sending it straight to a tuner to get the head flowed and the cams reground / replaced.

This is something I could sort over the summer, giving me a bolt on part to switch over during the winter.

Given that I have a free flowing pipe, Yoshi air-tubes and (hopefully soon) an air tray to replace the airbox, what is the learned opinion of those here present ??

Would this be worthwhile,and what sort of gains / cost could I expect from the work ?

Cheers chaps.

I have exactly the same question, I have a head sitting in the garage that I could send away for porting - a fancy Cam would also be a bonus...

Just replace the casing, forget tuning Armi, all you need do is find out if the cases are the same on the 750 and 600 models, theres loads available.

the srad head is quite well ported from ome,best is just a clean of the inlets and valve seat area,you can do this your seld with a dremal,just clan the valve seat area and cast mark joins,do not remove any other material,done this to all my srad engines builds and have showed a small gain on ome engine.

next double the cams up too two inlets cheep mod,set the squish up to race spec and fettle the pistons up to weigh the same iv seen ome ones 1g out of balance!.. take off the sharp edges on the piston and combustion chamber to a very fine radius (do not remove any more)..have the crank balanced and rods matched and the inner casing gass flowed,you can do this with a die grinder and a dremel to clean them up take all sharp edges off ,have the linners cut back to help gas flow between 1 and 2 and then 3 and 4 to were the pistio is a DBC and also open up the main crank case vent,all this can be dome in a shed by ones self,it wont get you wopa hp,but it will get the most out of an ome set up and ome parts.the air box mod on the FI is a good mod,also the race system.

If you're on a tight budget it might be better to look for a second engine and bolt it into your bike. Then write down what you want to do to this engine, do it as a diagram of the engine, get each piece priced up and also a complete engine build. That way you can work out a spec for the engine and your wallet.

Archived