Replacing The Bloody 6 Pot Tokicos...

jaycee

On my previous SRAD I fitted a set of 4 pot calipers and the appropriate master cylinder. I bought them from a tall chap on here, then when I wrote it off, a green martial arts-expert circled like a vulture and they're currently on his 7R.

I know the 4 pots from a Bandit 1200 and a GSXR600 fit (as do similar vintage Triumph ones I think) but I've seen a set of 900 FireBlade ones on that auction site. I remember my 'Blade's brakes being pretty decent and I was wondering if anybody knew whether or not they too will fit in place of the poxy bloody 6 pots. The Honda ones are Nissin as opposed to the Tokico Suzuki offer

My bet is that you'll need to suss out 3 things: Obviously, the distance between the bolts. Then the size of the bolts; i think the nissins will be a different thread. Finally the offset of the slot type bit to the bolt face, so that the disc sits in the middle of the gap in the caliper. I'd also bet that if you were to do your measurements correctly and the bolts on the nissins are smaller than the poxicos you could get somebody to machine you up a bush that sits in the bolt hole on the fork leg allowing you to fit nissins onto the space where the 6 pots once were. Incidentally, what is the spacing on the 6 pots (sizing things up for the zzr....)

As an alternative to this, you could get yourself some of the awesome adaptor brackets and stick some nice radial ones on there off a modern superbike!

The ones you bought off me were nissins from a bandit 12, but they also appear on loads of things, RGVs, RF900's, GSXR11's. There others that appear on GSXR6's, triumphs etc are not the same, although they'll fit, they're a 4 pot version of the tokico you've got already, so easier in terms of threads on banjos (tokico & nissin use different threads a lot of the time) but the general build quality and resistance to seizing up is better on nissins, I've found, just a better built caliper. It's a shame that you can't get a blue/gold spot to fit, as they're fairly plentiful and simply an awesome caliper.

I've just remembered that theTriumph ones are Nissins too Loz, I'm going to take the ones off the Speed Nipple when I get home again in a few weeks.

I'll measure them up for you then if you like (it'll be mid-Feb BTW)

I've tried both GSXR/SV1000 tokicos and fireblade/SP1 Nissins on my Kawasaki Kr-1s (same mounting as a zx7r). The bolt spacing is the same, but the Honda calipers mount at a slightly different angle and needed a bit of work with a dremel to clear the disc. You will need top hat spacers and the Suzuki/Honda bolts. Both are superb calipers and will be a massive improvement on those bloody 6 pots.

Are those Yamaha gold spots Ross? Viewing on my phone and its a wee screen. I take it you fitted a radial master cylinder too?

Cheers for the eBay find too Loz :)

Are those Yamaha gold spots Ross? Viewing on my phone and its a wee screen. I take it you fitted a radial master cylinder too?

Cheers for the eBay find too Loz :)

Silver spots from a R6 (same thing though) and no took the aftermarket radial M/C off that I was running (19x20) and am running with the standard ZX9R one now & if I do say so myself the brakes are brilliant.

For the record I know fuck all about martial arts.

Brakes are well weapon though.

Ross how are the yamaha calipers when it comes to covering the disc? I've been doing a little reading up and I read somewhere that the k3/k4 Suzuki calipers are better suited to the SRAD conversion, as later calipers don't sweep the whole disc. This may be specific to the Suzuki Tokico radial calipers though, or perhaps just the suzuki brackets and conversion

Anyone established what is wrong witht he original 6 pots? When spanking new, they were really good (PB said better than R1 calipers, unbelieveble now) but they go off really quickly. I blame the seal material/design...anyone else?

I believe its a combination of continually crudding up pistons combined with pad-flex that makes them so lacklustre. They probably do stop my just as quick as the Nissins on my Speed Triple, but there's very little feel ( to me at least, but i know the Wutang agrees with me) and subsequently I lose what little confidence I have.

The Nissins on my Speed triple which are 2 years older and have done a few thousand miles more than those 6 pots on my SRAD are so much better. Hell I have more confidence in the old opposed piston brakes on my Katana than I do in the 6 pots.

Ross how are the yamaha calipers when it comes to covering the disc? I've been doing a little reading up and I read somewhere that the k3/k4 Suzuki calipers are better suited to the SRAD conversion, as later calipers don't sweep the whole disc. This may be specific to the Suzuki Tokico radial calipers though, or perhaps just the suzuki brackets and conversion

Seem to cover the disc fine (took about 100miles to fully bed the pads to the discs but once done the brakes are fantastic, better than my R1 brakes, older none radial caliped one)

Can't see how the different calipers would make a difference in this as all the jap 4 pot radial calipers are the same mountings & size

Good hit Jon!

The 6 pots on mine picked up shite on the first pots then the middle( pad wear)

That was one year after full strip /clean service, nearly €80. Fitted the 12s 4 pots now so I'll see how it goes

Can't see how the different calipers would make a difference in this as all the jap 4 pot radial calipers are the same mountings & size

Not true. When swapping between GSXR and Yam radials (not sure about Honda ones), on some bikes spacers have to be taken into account, simply because the actual diameter of the discs are different between bikes, sometimes from one model/year of bike to another. I think it was on my old R1 (could've been the blade though) yamaha, instead of changing the caliper, simply used a small spacer, about 6 or 7mm from memory, to sit the calipers out from the fork leg slightly.

Personally, I'd think long and hard before I relied on brakes that were held on by a bit of ally bought off eBay.

They are actually good quality, quite a few use them on the busa forum and no bad reports or mishaps either.

Archived