One Of My Carbs Is Leaking Fuel

gsxr renegade

The throttle cable on my bike (1980 honda CB250 superdream) snapped last week so it's been sat in the garage for a few days while i waited for a new cable. I fitted the cable this morning and started it up and all seemed fine.

took a bit of a while to start, but both cylinders fired up no problem and i let it idle for a minute.

It was then that i noticed fuel was pissing out of one of the rubber hoses that connects to the right hand carb (as you sit on the bike)

I must admit, i'm a bit of a carb novice - normally used to fuel injected bikes and i have no idea what the problem could be.

It runs fine on both cyclinders and revs up fine with no spluttering or anything, its just that fuel keeps coming out of this pipe.

The pipe connects directly to the bottom of the carb, what i assume to be the float bowl? and i don't remember it leaking at this rate before the throttle cable snapped.

I'm just asking to see if anyone has any idea what the problem could be? I'm guessing one of the settings for the carb is off but i don't know wherre to start!!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. :thumbsup:

needle jet mate.. you might have a bit of rubbish in the seat area which is causing the float to stay in the open position. Carb fills up and overflows out of the pipe.Or the float could have a split in it.

No easy way out mate other than to whip it off and give it a clean.. Check the needle valve for wear while you have it out. :icon_salut:

Edit to add:- You say its coming from the bottom (the leak) do you mean from the overflow pipe on the float bowl? If so i would remove the drain screw and see if it is intact as these can snap off inside.Also when you remove them you might see rubbish in the drain port.

needle jet mate.. you might have a bit of rubbish in the seat area which is causing the float to stay in the open position. Carb fills up and overflows out of the pipe.Or the float could have a split in it.

No easy way out mate other than to whip it off and give it a clean.. Check the needle valve for wear while you have it out. :icon_salut:

Edit to add:- You say its coming from the bottom (the leak) do you mean from the overflow pipe on the float bowl? If so i would remove the drain screw and see if it is intact as these can snap off inside.Also when you remove them you might see rubbish in the drain port.

Cheers mate, ill whip the engine and carbs out later on and see if I can sort it.

Yeah sorry wasnt very clear, it's coming out of the end of the overflow pipe, the top of which connects into the bottom of the float bowl. It's not physically leaking out of the carb. (If that makes sense?)

Archived