Power Commander Iiir On A Vtr Sp1 Help I'm Going Crazy!

Steelsey

Hi,

I am loosing the plot trying to sort this issue I have with my Power Commander 3r (serial port version)

Basically this is the story so far.... I tired to up load a map using a usb to serial adaptor = nothing happened! I bought a better usb - serial adaptor and it worked! it saw the power commander! When I revved the engine for example it shows up on the screen. I then tried to load a map onto the power commander but I got this error message "file and power commander versions incompatible" So I contacted Power Commander USA and they said the adaptors do not work, so I bought an old PC with the built in serial port and confident it would work I set about up loading the map. Again the computer recognised the PCIIIr but when I went to upload the map "file and power commander versions incompatible" appeared. I have tried uploading with the ignition on, engine running, map in first then connecting, different maps, old software, new software, different computers etc, but nothing! I just can not get it to accept the map!

Has anyone had this? Is there a way I can re-set the PCIIIr or something? I would play with the manual buttons but I wouldn't know where to start! :confused:

If anyone can shine some light on this I'd be dead grateful.

Thanks

Rich

Rich have you tried ringing dynojet ? the will probably ask you to send it to them so they can update the software which is what im going to do to my power commander

phone no is 01995600500

Just out of interest are you (a) using power commander 3 software on your pc and b: have you plugged th battery in 8/9 volt thingy into the pc

I've tried both software, one off the CD and the one from their website. Ive not bothered with the 9volt adaptor as the PCIIIr is on the bike and I now have a PC in the garage :)

Rich have you tried ringing dynojet ? the will probably ask you to send it to them so they can update the software which is what im going to do to my power commander

phone no is 01995600500

Thanks, I emailed the UK one as well as the USA one. I've not heard back from the email to the UK one, think I will call them and maybe send it to them for an update. Out of curiosity, How much is it costing you?

Thanks, I emailed the UK one as well as the USA one. I've not heard back from the email to the UK one, think I will call them and maybe send it to them for an update. Out of curiosity, How much is it costing you?

ring them instead they were really helpful

nothing ! just send it recorded delivery

and when its sorted i want a go :)

ring them instead they were really helpful

nothing ! just send it recorded delivery

and when its sorted i want a go :)

Hahaha, if I get it sorted you are more than welcome Mick ;)

You still need the power supply from the battery, plug in my son!

Also you need the key on the power setting which primes the fuel pump.

You do mean the 9v battery? Thats for programming off the bike. I don't need the auxiliary battery as the PowerCommander is on the bike and gets its power from the bikes ignition! I've tried it with the ignition on and with the engine running which PowerCommander USA recommended.

You still need the battery my friend, that little square fucker that's useless for anything else

No you don't. You do not need to power the PC when its on the bike, and the bike ignition is on. The PC is powered by the bike.

1358971708849.jpg

You might with the USB version but I've got the serial port one and that, as it says on that link, does not require the auxiliary power supply when on the bike....

i could be wrong, but im pretty certain (doubt now creeping in) you should.

try reading the online tutorial. lol ( I can't be arsed, i have my own problems)

Some bikes nee the engine running, but not the SP1. As long as the ignition is on, then the PC is energised and should be seen by the computer. The 9v adaptor is only needed when the PC is not connected to the bike.

@ the OP. This is what I would do. Check that the black lead on the PC is connected to the -Ve terminal of the battery. Sometimes is is incorrectly wired to the frame...it MUST be connected to the neg terminal of the battery. If this is all good, I would then disconnect the PC completely. It's pretty easy..a single plug into the TPS, the black lead to the battery and a multiplug that links two plugs on the stock loom. Once it's disconnected, then plug the 9V adapter in and see if the computer can see it. Make sure that you are using the correct map for the PC3R

There are a lot of fake USB-to-serial chips out on the market (the most common chip by Prolific has been ripped off by the Chinese copy fab plants)...these rip-offs cause loads of problems. If you have tried using a laptop with a built in serial port and it still is not working, then you could try flashing the PC with new firmware.

At the risk of stating the obvious it is a compatible map you are trying to upload Rich?

Yeah, I have a 105 PC3r and been trying to upload m105-721.map maps but I totally agree, it would make the most sense for sure.

Some bikes nee the engine running, but not the SP1. As long as the ignition is on, then the PC is energised and should be seen by the computer. The 9v adaptor is only needed when the PC is not connected to the bike.

@ the OP. This is what I would do. Check that the black lead on the PC is connected to the -Ve terminal of the battery. Sometimes is is incorrectly wired to the frame...it MUST be connected to the neg terminal of the battery. If this is all good, I would then disconnect the PC completely. It's pretty easy..a single plug into the TPS, the black lead to the battery and a multiplug that links two plugs on the stock loom. Once it's disconnected, then plug the 9V adapter in and see if the computer can see it. Make sure that you are using the correct map for the PC3R

There are a lot of fake USB-to-serial chips out on the market (the most common chip by Prolific has been ripped off by the Chinese copy fab plants)...these rip-offs cause loads of problems. If you have tried using a laptop with a built in serial port and it still is not working, then you could try flashing the PC with new firmware.

Thanks man, I think I will try that. It's the only thing I've not yet tried!

Archived