Trail And Rake

Johnmac1

Hi there,

Read with interest your article on rake and trail in the Aug. Issue and over Christmas did a bit of experimentation. The Bike is and old GSXR1100H with GSXR750M front end sorted by Maxton to my weight etc and an M1100 rear wheel so now 17’ wheels rather than 18’ wheels. The rear shock was also rebuilt by Maxton a number of years ago and as not used a lot all seemed to be pretty good.

When I original put on the 750M front end the bike seemed to oversteer completely (fall into bends at town speeds) so I dropped the rear by 10mm and this eased the front end a little but increased the rear sag to 18mm. I lived with this as very stable in a straight line but hard work in the bends as the rear sag was too large.

After reading your article I was going to go the S1000Rr route and try for 24’ and 100mm trail. Before starting I had 26’plus rake and tried to lift the rear with preload(but back to Maxton’s correct sag I think) rather than a ride height adjuster and dropped the forks through yokes 7mm but the nearer I get to 25’ never mind 24’ the more oversteer I get(pushing left hard to keep it up).

Tire pressures are standard 36/36. Not sure if the rear should be 42psi as there is always confusion with modern tyres on older/specials etc. Increasing the rear pressure should I think make things even worse by raising it a bit more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

John.

Archived