Cutting Down A Carbon Fiber Mudguard , How To?

marcuszs

I have a tyga nc35 carbon mudguard i want to cut down to remove some damage from ,

Here is the damaged one , stickers on the front cover the damage

050-1.jpg

051-3.jpg

Here's one i have which i want to copy

fd22e3fb.jpg

would the edges need to be sealed once cutting and what should i use to cut it?

i've used a cutting disk in an angle grinder before. the dust gets in the motor eventually and fucks it up though.

^ What he said, or a Dremel. I reshaped a c/f hugger once with an air bodysaw which was probably the best method...

Whatever you use - wear a dust mask, and it helps to use a plant spray mister thing to damp the dust down. You really don't want to be breathing in that crap.

I never sealed the edges and it looked ok. I did final shaping with a file and emery cloth to get a nice smooth edge. I don't suppose it would hurt to dab on some lacquer though.

edited due to twitchy trigger finger.

i have a proper carbon saw,its like a hacksaw but with a round blade,fantastic little thing,i cant remember off hand where i got it from though.

As said a Dremel or thin cutting disc on a small grinder, then shape with needle files and emery paper to a smooth finish, just be carefull not to scratch the lacquered surface, I've never sealed the edge after modifying a carbon part, I live near Fibrelyte so have got alot of carbon bits.

Clear laquer will seal it up a treat. I've cut plenty of carbon in the past with just a hacksaw and it's come out looking pretty good. I'd whack a load of masking tape over it so you can draw your nice clear line of where you want to cut it and then just go with a hacksaw blade. Carbon's a peice of piss to cut so long as your blade's half decent, it's only when you start getting kevlar involved that it gets tricky.

I always use an angle grinder with a cutting disc and finish with a second hand i.e. slightly worn linishing/flapper wheel in the grinder. The sharp edge of a convex file will sort out the loose strands of Kevlar if there's any buried in there. If the edge chips up you can finish with a little resin to tidy it up, flatting back and polish will seal the edge nicely.

Archived