Ridiculously Cheap Speedo Thingy

Mr.Incredible

Just found this on Ebay

Looks quite cool. Of course it will be a bit shit, but I fancy one for my GS550E project bike. What do we think about getting a tacho feed to it? How would I go about it? It says, and I quote, "engine rotate speed comes from the ignition signal. The sensor wire is normally contacted with the positive side of the magnetor or directly wired on the rectifier".

Thanks very much

Tach feed goes to the orange feed to your ignition coil usually on old Suzukis. Sometimes possible to wrap it round one of the ht leads as well.

I assume it will do mph, as they offer to ship to here and America.

It says in the ad to tell them the wheel dia if not 17" so must be adjustable.

I think I will buy one when I get to the relevant stage of my build.

Mr I..

This looks like a cheaper copy of the Translogic dash (sort of)..And the wiring is very similar..

The RPM/Tacho goes to Number 1 coil.. The speed (MPH) is done by the sensor which goes on the rear wheel normally.(The big black wire with the plug)Timbos bike has the translogic dash fitted to it and thats how i wired his all up.. And as far as i know it all works fine.Quite simple to wire up tbh.Hope that helps.

I spotted those on ebay too and thought it looked pretty cool..

I have a KOSO RX2 on my trx and the wiring is virtually the same. I had issues with calculated speed versus wheel size on my koso and eventually ended up having to calibrate alongside a gps/car by changing wheel sizes from actual measurement.

I'm guessing this will be similar with poorer build quality.

It does look like the earlier koso

No worries Nicky, I would probably "piggyback" the sensor wire into the connector at the coil rather than splicing it somewhere along the length of the wire if only because should the joint fail it won't stop the bike running.

Archived