Engine Rattling

gorby

i am looking for some advice i bought another engine for my fzr400rr and it starts no bother but there is a noise coming from it that gets louder when it is revved up, i can`t make out where its coming from ,i checked the camchain tensioner and even put anothergood one in but it made no difference so i took the top engine cover off and started it up there was plenty of oil getting everywhere,i think it was slightly louder when i took the cover off.i had checked the valve clearances and they were all fine,but on four of the eight cam lobes on the inlet camshaft there is some pitting through the shiny surface,not a lot but enough to slightly catch your nail on,i am thinking this may be enough to cause the loud rattling does anybody else think this would be possible

cheers mike

You sure its not bottom end?

Does it quieten if you pour oil over the cams whilst running?

get a long screwdriver and stick it to your ear and then put the other end on the bike when running. This will amplify the noise and should help you detect where in the engine the noise is coming from. :icon_salut:

Then report back

Just to add i had a fzr 400 here a while back to do the carbs on and get it running.. That was a bit rattly but the valve clearances were all in spec.. carbs were balanced as well.

If you can try and post up a video of the bike running,, that sometimes helps..

Archived