Engine Oil Not Bike Related

stevieweavie

I'm trying to find out what oil to put in my 2002 hilux d4d 2.5 turbo diesel. I keep getting told different things. A garage said 10w 30 semi synthetic, eurocarparts website says 5w30 fully synth and halfords site says 15w 40 mineral. Any ideas whats best. Its done a high mileage (225000). It needs nearly 7 litres of the stuff too :shock:

I stand to be corrected, but i'd not use a normal "mineral" oil. Think the temps are higher on turbo-diesels, and a cheap mineral would deteriorate quicker than a turbo-diesel specific oil.

Other than that, go with whats within your budget. 5w30 seems to be overkill, 10w30 or a td specific 15w 40 should be just fine.

my 2p's worth :bdaysmile:

Id say 5w or 10w/30 oil will be fine mate. Dont use mineral oil IMO.

5w is -25 degrees

10w is -20 degrees

Wont be getting that cold lol..

The lower the 2nd number the more overall wear over the life of the engine..(thinner oil @ 100 deg C) Stick with the 30 one mate and you will be grand.

A good quality C2 certified semi synth of either 5w or 10w / 30 will be fine although I would consider a 5 or 10w 40 if oil consumption is a factor on such a high mileage engine as it's slightly thicker when hot.

Archived