Another Endurance Racer Based Parts Query

wil.co.

I was wondering, has anyone had made up, or sourced, a 'quick release' rear wheel? well, specifically, the part that keeps the sprocket on the bike as you remove it. I know that it is sort of a locking 'jig' that slides into each other, but thats about it. What else would be involved in this, how would the sprocket stay attached? attach it to the chain adjuster?

Thanks for any help...

The sprocket sits on a carrier attached to the chain adjuster. The carrier has an aperture cut into the back of it that mates to a part that bolts onto the wheel in place of the sprocket and drives the sprocket carrier. I started making one earlier this year but didnt get around to finishing it. Another project to look at in the new year!

Here is the sprocket side of the carrier:

DSCN1474.jpg

With the sprocket fitted:

DSCN1476.jpg

The back face where the part bolted on the wheel locates:

DSCN1473.jpg

And a few pics of the chain adjusters:

DSCN1470.jpg

DSCN1468.jpg

DSCN1466.jpg

The bracket with the 2 holes in it is for a mount for the brake caliper. On the other side of that is an up stand with a rail on it for the spacer of the wheel to roll into and locate easily. I dont have a pic of it together with the bearings fitted yet. I just need to make the mount that goes on the wheel and a few little parts to locate the sprocket and it would be together.

Here are a few pics I based my design on:

chainside4_zpse8b84639.jpg

gsxrLEendurance001_zps36b39130.jpg

gsxrLEendurance004_zps96c83080.jpg

gsxrLEendurance007_zpsea3e7047.jpg

gsxrLEendurance009_zps04e3a525.jpg

The set up uses the standard Marchesini/Marvic/Ducati style wheels and cush drive doesn't it? The Pentagon drive has the pins that are normally on the sprocket carrier.

gsxrLEendurance007_zpsea3e7047.jpg

When I put the bearing in it and ran it on the spindle it seemed pretty balanced, but until I put it on the knife edges to check it I am guessing. I did leave material in to be scallpoed out if it was a problem. At the end of the day it is a small diameter and weight compared with the wheel so the centrifugal force is pretty negligable.

Bolliger Kawasaki's solution is quite simple and elegant - if a little crude looking compared to the 'wavy' sprocket carrier. Works just fine though!

8c96e1e1.jpg

26d7a903.jpg

f2a9e44f.jpg

a162590f.jpg

9f89fec7.jpg

80f434dc.jpg

Martin I love your work with what you've done above, it looks fantastic. Those chain adjusters are gorgeous!

Answer on the weight issue is lots. Answer on a safety issue is that seemingly no matter what you do with this sort of set-up, at some point the rear wheel spindle will undo itself and start going walk about. Ask me how I know.

It got something to do with the chatter that you inevitabely get, as there must be some tolerance between the 2 halfs of the drive plates. I think I may have fallen on a solution, yet to test it out.

Archived