Yamaha R1 Kit Head Gasket ?

Superdunc

Just a quick one. I'm giving a mate a hand with some head work on a 2001 r1. Anyone know where we can get a kit head gasket from, or how much thinner they would of been than a stock one so we know how much to get the head skimmed.

Ta.

Not on twitter Mike, who's Pete Jennings?

Edit: Ah the Swan yamaha guy. right?

Each leaf of a three leaf standard gasket is 0.2mm. Remove the centre leaf. Pop a 150 size Mikuni large head main jet in either the head or crankcase to make up for the oil feed restrictor hole in the centre leaf you've just removed and job's a fish. Much cheaper and much more available than a kit gasket.

Because the YEC ones aren't available new any longer and old stocks are dwindling now, people like Cometic are still making them but honestly, save the cost/wait and just do the standard gasket mod.

Running standard pistons, cams, valves etc.?

Yep, I haven't seen the thinner of the two Y.E.C gaskets (2 sizes were avaliable for the 98-01 r1) for ages now.

I bought two of them years ago.

My bike currently uses one, and i have a spare for the day i upgrade the bottom end of my engine.

As Mark said, if you need one in the short time-frame, you'll have to split a stock gasket or go for a non yamaha product. (cometic for example)

Just for reference the kit manual for the 2001 5JJ manual states standard gasket thickness of 0.6mm, kit gasket 0.5mm taking compression from approx 11:8 to 12:1

Brilliant guys, exactly what I needed to know. Yes Mark, everything else is standard, just going to give the head a tickle a clean up the casting marks etc.

Thanks

Duncan.

Archived