Alooominium Frame Wet Paint Or Powder? (Help Please)

Toneale

Seeking some advice from the collective genius that is the PB massive.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 92 Blade http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38056&hl= and am at the stage of getting the frame done.

I was originally going to get them powdercoated but the 2 places I have previously used for powder coating have provided very mixed, (read shoddy), results.

I was therefore contemplating getting the frame/swingarm wet painted instead.

Are there any reasons why I should not go down this route?

Thanking you.

Don't know about prices in England now, but over here I can get a frame and swinging arm powder coated for $90 and the finish is beautiful. I couldn't even buy the paint for that, even if i wanted to paint myself.

Other issue is durability. Powder is way more forgiving to abuse than paint.

Personally, I'd only paint if I was doing a resto and wanted an original finish.

As already said Triple S, worth the trip if you want to check them out.

http://www.triple-s.co.uk/

Who did you use Tony?

My mate currently uses a guy in Tullamore for powdercoat and just used a guy in Kildare to do a frame and wheels. Very nich finishes.

Got a sprocket cover painted for the same bike and the finish is fantastic but is in an area that probably wont see much abuse other than oil fling.

Painted deep gloss black is a lovely finish on frames though, you have to ask your self how much abuse will the frame get ? Probably not a lot, knee rub and petrol spilt on it would be the biggest things.

Powder coat, without a doubt. Paint can be done just as badly as bad powder, the only thing that's certain is that powder is 10's of times tougher.

Who did you use Tony?

My mate currently uses a guy in Tullamore for powdercoat and just used a guy in Kildare to do a frame and wheels. Very nich finishes.

Got a sprocket cover painted for the same bike and the finish is fantastic but is in an area that probably wont see much abuse other than oil fling.

Painted deep gloss black is a lovely finish on frames though, you have to ask your self how much abuse will the frame get ? Probably not a lot, knee rub and petrol spilt on it would be the biggest things.

Thanks Wes, I have previously used Tallaght Powdercoating with mixed results, the last place I tried was on the recommendation of the blaster, (TAD Blasting out by Dublin airport), the blasting was fine but the quality of the powder coating was questionable.

I'm in Navan so either Tullamore or Kildare is good for me. Can you let know the names and numbers of the firms your mate used?

Cheers dude.

Archived