Ignition Switch

Mark/Foggy

Should be simple enough, but would like some advice/trick solutions.

The Bultaco project that I'm working on is coming to an end. The wiring loom is about as simple as it gets. Generator driven by the engine, points and a single wire to the coil. Now this is fine, but I want to be able to plug chop the bike and need to be able to kill the motor on demand. So simple switch in the low tension circuit between points and coil should be the answer.

Can anybody think of any pit falls, would a solenoid driven device be a better solution and is there anything 1960/70's that would look trick yet still be available, most stuff from then is pressed tin and shiiiiite.

Ok, think I got it, got any smart ideas for a 'totally reliable' switch. There's any number chinese made kill switches on the bay and obviously I've got loads of Yam switches lying about, were pit lane limiter or general toggle on/offs. the period stuff is aweful tin stuff, where do I look next?

Have a look at some of the stuff fitted to old twin shock MX bikes. The old Suzuki TM models had a subtle kill switch with a simple black rubber cover, may be some good?

Oooh that nice. Where can I get one in the UK.

Can't find that in their index.

Drrr now found. Likey likey.

Having said that it is 50 bucks plus shipping, loving the rebuild kit though.

now on edit number 2,

that fits as a barclamp for the master cylinder or clutch.

Can't use it unless I make up the other half of the bracket, which starts getting into the realm of a whole new project.

Wonder why this is taking so long. :eusa_think:

:biggrinvk4:

That is a nice switch. Could you not fit two m6 timesert inserts into that piece, and just add a normal brake/clutch clamp half to the back of it?

Got to say that I love it on here got a string of PM's here with someone who's offering to source that ignition switch via his brother at Uni in California.

You know who you are fella, thanks.

That is a nice switch. Could you not fit two m6 timesert inserts into that piece, and just add a normal brake/clutch clamp half to the back of it?

Lateral thinking on here as well. Yes I could, easily, in fact I know where there's a Brembo/Beringer/Yamaha/ISR/Suzuki ones without a home at the moment,

It's 50 fookin dollars though.

Rider slides off inside of sadle, bike cuts out loading the front, countersteering and on his elbow, rider returns to the saddle while leaving the track, bike chimes back in again and high sides him off the kerb rain. Maybe not.

Think again Grasshopper.

:biggrinvk4:

Only need the switch to satisfy scrutineers and marshalls, hence why I'm looking out for something unusual.

Liking this

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/330518654606?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

That's pretty nice. Any of these billet options could be stripped down and the metal parts powder coated satin black. That would tone them down somewhat, but they would still be good quality, and more importantly feel nice to use.

Archived