Aluminium Liners

kja.busa

Just needing some information please and I'm certain there are people on here who can help. Firstly the 1199 Ducati engine has aluminium cylinder liners, wet liners I believe, having never seen one I have a couple of queries. Firstly, how thick is the wall of the liner? Does it seal like a conventional type wet liner with an 'o' ring? What spec of aluminium is used to make it? And what sort of clearance is available for it to fit into the crankcase?

I heard that the 1199 racebikes have reverted to cast liners after issues, this obviously changes the piston to cylinder wall clearances, but are the rings also to a different spec?

Any advice or input, as ever greatly appreciated. :)

Corrected by "Superdunc"

I know very little about this, and can only speculate. These images were ruthlessly stolen from Rick Hacketts Facebook album.

d5b1fd23426e677055dd8c988ae1d841.jpg

1994396c450521b63f70e8aa66897cf8.jpg

3b977d6c04bd516b7839e5c492728727.jpg

bc23e14401c3fe78f6bf802aaa108bd1.jpg

It's clear to see from the photos that the liner is a separate piece from the cranks cases. This is new thinking from Ducati, and has more in common with the d16. If I was to make a guess at the liner wall thickness, I would say it looks like 2-3mm, this is similar to previous production duc's.

Does this help, I too am interested in your line of questioning?

Ducati liners are integral with the barrel and water jacket. Unless you mean the 1199.

http://www.ebay.co.u...E-/270704260414

Sorry yes, the 1199.

what is the back story? you want to use one in something else?

Yes, ideally Jaime. Basically its a possible solution to a idea that I've been pondering on. Billet barrels on a TL1000 crankcase. The limiting factor with a TL for capacity increases are the oem barrels, they simply are too weak, theres a popular 2mm overbore and then some go 4mm but the skirts on the barrels are weak. We machined an oem barrel out with the idea of fitting a steel liner but at 106mm the bore broke through into the water jacket. Ideally, using a 106mm bore and a 73mm crank we can get 1300cc, the crank has been done, the Crower titanium rods have been rebushed to run 20mm pins, 1098RS Ducati pistons are favourite, Warpspeed have offered to machine the barrels and Sam Mathewman will build the engine, just need to sort the issue of liners, hence my question.

loads of 1199 engine pictures here. http://cadre-club.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Ducati-Indianapolis-Panigale/25564145_SnDLW9#!i=2108555540&k=jkkG6zZ

TTS made some billet barrels for a 1600 hayabusa engine which had seperate steel liners. That might be a better model for your conversion.

Steel liners might be the way to go, however again I'm not sure about the 1098RS rings running in steel liners.

I'm fairly sure the 1098rs are steel liners.

who are getting to machine the liners, they should be able to advise on ring material.

I'm fairly sure the 1098rs are steel liners.

who are getting to machine the liners, they should be able to advise on ring material.

A local company has offered to make them in steel but they have no experience of bike engines, I just thought the Nikasil aluminium liners would run tighter clearances and be a good idea.

These are the kiddies when comes to liners. http://www.capricorngroup.net/en/automotive-en/laufbuchsen.html

If rumors are to be believed, these people know more than a liitle about Ducati pistons and rings. http://www.omegapistons.com/

Thanks Dunc, I'll research the 1098rs liners, steel looks the way to go tbh.

Sounds an awsome project, let us see how you get on. :thumbsup:

Will do

perfectbore / capricorn are the daddies re bore, and i think omega do the pistons for duc's too, as superdunc says.

do you need someone to design and make the billet barrels??

Archived