? Regarding Changing Gasket

Mahatma

I have bought a new enginecover to my cb900c as the old one was leaking abit of oil.My question is:Do I just install the rubber gasket between the cover and engine straight,or do I need to apply something to it before installing it?

Thanks in advance:)

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you do need to use something, the word on the street is that 'three bond' is the stuff to use.

I used three bond (drei bond) its from Bmw

I had a leaking thermostat housing on the car. Its got a vrry fine nozzle , sets like silicone but high temperature range up to

250 deg. C and quite easy to clean off

Hth

Kk

• 2 months later...

Got the Hylomar blue,and bought a highheat silikon sealant (up to 310 C) which stated that could be made into replacement gasket.Trouble with my topend is that I have a feeling it's not completely straight.Any suggestions to what to go for?

Maybe just weld it shut ;)

If both surfaces are clean and undamaged, a new gasket should be fine on its own, but for piece of mind it's a good idea to put a tiny dab of instant gasket in the corners where the gasket runs over a cam cap (not always applicable), or where the "D" shaped rubbers seal the cutouts in the cylinder head.

What's not completely straight?

If you think the head's warped then you can get this checked out and, if need be, get the head skimmed. The problem comes when it's warped that much that you're changing things like the compression ratio as you skim lots off it to get it flat again. Don't guess that it's wrong though, it's almost impossible to tell without the right equipment.

Thnaks for replies.Think I'll go for Hylomar,and hope that it works.Not flushed with money at the moment,so have to go with the DIY approach.

Archived