Replacement Brembo Caliper Seals

drunkn munky

I need some caliper seals for the brembo caliper on a cagiva mito i have and as the friendly chaps at brembo wont sell replacements would anyone happen to know of any suppliers? Even just generic seals, aslong as there the right size they should be fine yes?

I did read rupe's artical in this months mag about him sourcing some for his 900SS brembos through wemoto even tho they dont list them but ive tried them and no joy, maybe if i said i worked for PB they would be more accommodating lol

I've gotten Nissin and Tokico seals from Cardiff Motorcycles before. Don't know if they stock brembo replacements though. Their website www.motorcyclepatternparts.com dosen't seem to be working but you could call them on 02920700700

Hope that helps. Are brembo like this with all their callipers?

What bike is it off mate.. let me know and i should be able to source the part for you. :icon_salut:

Are brembo like this with all their callipers?

YES, They would much prefer you bought a new caliper..Like Ohlins are with their suspension.. They wont sell anything to outsiders.And this allows them to keep prices high..

YES, They would much prefer you bought a new caliper..

I think that's got more to do with them (supposedly) not wanting the liabilities of people incorrectly fitting the parts... (there was more than a grumble about seals a while back, which prompted Brembo to take a firmer stance on providing seal kits)

<snip> Like Ohlins are with their suspension.. They wont sell anything to outsiders. <snip>

You can get all the spares for Ohlins, but you just have to go through an Ohlins service centre. You might have to wait a little while (and yes, they charge a pretty penny for simple parts), but then you know that it'll all go back together properly...

G

I think that's got more to do with them (supposedly) not wanting the liabilities of people incorrectly fitting the parts... (there was more than a grumble about seals a while back, which prompted Brembo to take a firmer stance on providing seal kits)

You can get all the spares for Ohlins, but you just have to go through an Ohlins service centre. You might have to wait a little while (and yes, they charge a pretty penny for simple parts), but then you know that it'll all go back together properly...

G

yeah i had heard about the Brembo liability issue clause.. Bit silly if you ask me but i suppose they protect themselves.. Regarding Ohlins, yeah i know.. I can get all of the ohlin's parts through my supplier (K-tech).When i asked ohlins direct i just got a snotty reply back form the head office in Sweden lol.

Anyone who knows will tell you that original Ohlins seals are poor and leak,, i was also advised to replace these with another make due to the better sealing properties and cheaper price.I might also point out that it is only the fork seals that are poor..the rest of the replacement parts are ok as far as i am award. Just thought id clear that up. :icon_salut:

Off the top of your head, you know of any cross between ktm and aprillia calipers?

And, when I got he RSV-R this year, folks told me to source Ohlins parts from a Yamaha dealer, or through a Yam parts list,

which sounds like Chrisball's advice, and BudgetBoy's.

For the earlier 40mm spaced Brembos, you need need the parts from a KTM duke 1. I bought caliper seals and pistons for @£35 per caliper for my 916. early KTM superdukes use the 4pad brembos as fitted to 749 and 999.

• 2 weeks later...

The limited edition Yamaha R1 SP came fitted with Ohlins R&T forks.

Aftermarket R&T forks and the versions fitted as OEM to Aprilia and Ducati models use seals with a looser fit around the sliders in order to keep friction to a minimum. This results in a fairly arduous maintenance schedule for the forks with seal replacement annually and, if owners don't recognise that high performance equipment requires a corresponding amount of TLC, the impression that the forks are unreliable.

Yamaha weren't prepared to accept this maintenance schedule/unreliability on one of their production bikes so sacrificed a little fork performance in exchange for less maintenance and specified tighter fitting fork seals.

So if you want less maintenance fit the Yamaha parts, if you want the best performance fit Ohlins/Aprilia/Ducati parts.

I didn't know this :eusa_think: Cheers

I had the forks serviced / rebuilt on the Duc', but don't know what particular seals were used. they've been ok (fingers-crossed), so my guess is that K-tech know their onions on this one as well.

G

Archived