Battery Capacity

Bigspud

A question for the technical souls:

Planning the following additons to my 2012 Speed Triple, Autocom system, Tom Tom and facility for heated clothing.

The Autocom / TomTom combo was run successfully on my previous BMW, both on a soldered in connection to an ignition live. Having spoken to my Triumph dealer, I can do the same, with a recommendation to take from the number plate lamp feed.

I have now acquired a heated waistcoat, which has connections to run straight from the battery.

My concern is that with all three running, a flat battery awaits. The standard battery on the Triple is 12 Volt, 12 Ah. The heated kit specs show a typical power of 15W. Not sure of the power draw of the autocom / TomTom

Any thoughts?

The battery is there to store electrickery , more important is the alternator output .

15W is 1 1/4 amps , so your battery should run the waistcoat for just under an hour without the engine running !

Indeed , but that's maximum output , with all the lights and satnav and jacket switched on , stuck in traffic at tickover , it won't be anything like that .

Suck it and see , as they say ?!

I'd be surprised if the intercom and sat nav draw more than a set of heated grips, and I've run a heated waistcoat and heated grips together with no problems. Not sure what the alternator output on a VFR 750 is. I cut the connector off the heated waistcoat wiring and soldered on a match for the Optimate wiring that's already on the battery.

Id turn everything on..lights,sat nav blah blah and then see what the battery says with the multimeter.. At idle and 4k.. If it does not go below 13v i would say you will be fine.

Id turn everything on..lights,sat nav blah blah and then see what the battery says with the multimeter.. At idle and 4k.. If it does not go below 13v i would say you will be fine.

I can borrow my mates multimeter, so I think I'll try this one. Keep your eyes open for a "How do you use a multimeter thread" coming soon

Archived