Venting Question On A 24L Endurance Tank

SAB

The subject at hand is a modified FTR 5VY R1 dual fill 24L endurance tank.

It uses the standard yam fuel pump but I'm a bit perplexed as to what I should do with the vent pipe on it. The tank has an external vent with an inline valve out the top.

What do you do with the vent pipe on the bottom of the pump? Cap it off?

Thanks in advance.

Sab: dead easy the vent is to an external overflow bottle/tank ping me an email addy via pm and ill send you an image of the one on my bike

I've got that part sorted I think...I'm running the external vent to a pair of overflow bottles behind the clocks ala HRC style.

My question is about the vent pipe that is on the stock fuel pump under the tank. Normally, that would run down via a hose and dump out near the kickstand.

Do you run that up to the overflow now or is it just doing double duty?

You might find that that's the overflow from the original filler neck (if the tank has been modified) FTR may have blocked it off as race bikes don't tend to have this feature - more a road bike thing for cack handed punters at the petrol station.

Your tank should have a vent at the top, with a one way valve (letting air IN as fuel goes down) and nothing else really. Have a look inside the filler neck if you can to see if there is still a pipe coming from the top to the bottom. That will be an overflow for the original filler neck. If there is no hole at the filler neck then it's unoperational - if there is no pipe then the exit at the bottom of the tank will mostly likely be unoperational too.

On my 600rr I have a tube coming from the vent, up the front face of the tank, through a one way valve then into a bottle, which is also vented. Just in case of valve failure and fuel decides to make its way up the tube. The overflow from my filler neck is blanked off.

Hope this helps

hey seth, let me introduce you to my newfound cad skills. tom has already dealt with them recently. :)

image_zpscea928cc.png

this may prove helpful. top tank is the standard ducati setup. inside the the tank are two rubber (perishable!) hoses, one is for the breather the other is the splash tray for said cack handed petrol station users. the ducati actually has two high pressure hoses going to the rail but you dont need to be worried about that.

bottom half of the pic is of the setup to use a race filler cap. it may also apply to a twin filler cap too. the two internal rubber hoses now have nowhere to go to, so the simplest thing to do is to loop one over to blank the other off. on my own one i welded both holes up as the base plate is aluminium. in my tank also i ran the breather pipe towards the top of the middle of tank by the filler as it wouldnt hold a full tank of fuel as the breather was not strictly at the highest point.

here is the ducati fuel pump plate as standard:-

over002.jpg

and here modified/welded up.:-

over007.jpg

from memory a r6 fuel pump is similar to (if not the same as?) an r1 item, that has one outlet to the rail, and one other hose which takes care of both overspill and vent. just cap that off and jobs a good un. if you can, cap it off inside for neatness points. :)

Appreciate the calrification Cibbersicks.

Matt that diagram is brilliant! I can't tell you how many times I've scribbled stuff like that down because I can't get it to make sense in my head. Your welding work is smooth as silk (as usual).

I think I'm sorted now as far as routing goes. If not, it's a lot of fuel to go up so it should make for a good show at least.

Quick shots of the tank. Matt here's what the internal baffle looks like on this tank. I know you were thinking about doing it to yours as well. I have the standard version of this tank also and it looks like whoever did the work did a lot of cutting and welding to add the extra capacity, dual fillers, and baffle. I touch it every night.

DSC08726%20(Small).JPG

DSC08727%20(Small).JPG

DSC08729%20(Small).JPG

Can't believe all this and no-one has suggested blowing up the bloody pipe to see where it goes if anywhere and using your noodle to see if it's necessary or not.

It appears you've actually got two breather valves.....

You've got a Mocal one screwed into the welded boss in the tank and then an inline breather in the hose.

You only need the Mocal one.

But...but....

pump_out.JPG

Tank_Fit.JPG

Can't believe all this and no-one has suggested blowing up the bloody pipe to see where it goes if anywhere and using your noodle to see if it's necessary or not.

I'm wary of taking advice from men who ride boooooooooooza's.

Kidding....Good idea. Back to the corner with my head down...

But...but....

pump_out.JPG

Draining the tank?

numbnuts...

Sigh. I need a bench stand for my tank now.

That's the beauty of essentially being your own Father Xm*s though eh?

Where did you get that genuine P1 tank then?

I suspect that the Mocal breather may have no internals and that's why Mike has fitted on in-line breather. Is possible that we were experiencing unexpected surge and mike thought a second breather might help. :eusa_think:

Hey SAB, if you were very, very lucky I might be able to source a subframe that would help you fit it. At the rear the cutaway hooks into a pair of R1 tank rubbers mounted on a rod, on a pair of brackets that bolt to the subframe spars. From memory, if you fit the original rear seat bracket the wrong way around and by the rearward fasteners, that will govern the position of where the rear mount lives. At the front we used to weld in a pair of bosses that held a bracket, isolated with R1 radiator grommets and shortened top hats.

Hope this helps.

Draining the tank?

numbnuts...

Yup, down into a tubular tank with a R1 fuel pump in the bottom and an ATL Filler in the top. This drain tank allows you to pump the drained fuel into measuring cylinders at your leisure, helping calculate consumption and capacity, yet lets the tank come back into service quickly (you're not allowed to keep tanks in the front of the pit box with any fuel in them, yet you need one available should you have a fuelling issue). The filler in the top allows you to empty the dump tin of any residual fuel after the bike has been serviced, Put 24 lt in the dump tin, fuel the bike, calculate how much is left in the tin and you know how much went into the bike, then divide by the number of laps in the session to calculate the fuel consumption (some riders are more thirsty than others, greedy fooks). Final use for the tin is that it can be used as an auxilliary tank for the bike.

And you just wanted a tank stand :biggrinvk4:

Hey SAB, if you were very, very lucky I might be able to source a subframe that would help you fit it.

I guarantee Seth reads that twice before replying.

The 2nd time while touching himself.

You're smiling because you know I'm right eh Seth?

Where did you get that genuine P1 tank then?

I suspect that the Mocal breather may have no internals and that's why Mike has fitted on in-line breather. Is possible that we were experiencing unexpected surge and mike thought a second breather might help. :eusa_think:

Hey SAB, if you were very, very lucky I might be able to source a subframe that would help you fit it. At the rear the cutaway hooks into a pair of R1 tank rubbers mounted on a rod, on a pair of brackets that bolt to the subframe spars. From memory, if you fit the original rear seat bracket the wrong way around and by the rearward fasteners, that will govern the position of where the rear mount lives. At the front we used to weld in a pair of bosses that held a bracket, isolated with R1 radiator grommets and shortened top hats.

Hope this helps.

I'd first been offered it about a year ago by a gentleman who buys and breaks ex race bikes. At the time, I had (and still have) a short track single fill FTR tank that looks to be identical to the P1 tank (before it was modified). Anywho, I had completely forgotten about it until it popped up on ebay. The rest was history :)

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE DOUBLY LOVE X TEN to see what you have in terms of a sub frame for it. I have the mount that I think you're talking about with the oem rubber Yam pieces. It just kid of wedges into the back of the tank and it pivots/releases on that yeah?

I guarantee Seth reads that twice before replying.

The 2nd time while touching himself.

You're smiling because you know I'm right eh Seth?

5 times actually. I just now woke up on the floor and the house is flooded because the tub was running.

Haha, he's passed out!

Bingo!

Archived