Headlight Override Switch

Ringding

My SV has always(I've had it 7 years from new) struggled at starting in cold weather, since new and even when I've replaced the battery. I'm pretty sure it is simply a case of the specified battery not really being up to the job.

This is undoubtedly made worse by the fact that I can't turn the lights off, increasing the load on the battery during starting. What I would like to do is to fit an extra switch to the handlebar so I can turn the lights off, I was thinking of one of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-ON-OFF-KILL-SWITCH-BUTTON-22mm-HANDLEBARS-/190755115155?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c69e41093). Although it doesn't state how much current it can handle.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and if so how they've resolved them.

Cheers.

I always leave the light switch to on and have fitted a 10 amp battery instead of an 8.

The lights are about 10 amps max, and a kill switch is normally rated at 25 amps hth

Ta for that. I had considered getting an uprated battery but there isn't really anything wrong with this one. Don't want to spend the money unless I have too..

Thanks for the heads up on the current rating. I'll try contacting the manufacturer to check for sure with the one I linked to. Might be a little project over Christmas.

It's actually a good idea to have the lights on a switch, as it does reduce significantly the cranking load.

I don't know why they all don't come with an on/off switch for them.

Sometimes on colder or low battery power days i will manually pull the plugs off the back of each headlight (1998 R1) before cranking the bike to start it.

One of these days i too will put a switch inline to save me the hassle.

There's a few things I really like about the design and build of my ZX10R, one of which is the fact the lights don't come on until the engine is started. I see things like this and wonder why its not standard on more bikes.

The idea of the permanent lights came from America (California) to stop people driving off without lights

Lowest common denominator.... considering Americans are so hot on 'freedom' they appear to be terribly keen on taking it away...

There's a few things I really like about the design and build of my ZX10R, one of which is the fact the lights don't come on until the engine is started. I see things like this and wonder why its not standard on more bikes.

That is relatively simple, I don't know why the all the manufacturers don't do it. When I've had other issues startin gin the past, e.g. sidestand switch issues, I've ended up with a flat battery whilst trying to track them down as the headlights can't be turned off. It's very frustrating.

VW, it is better if I optimate it every night but sometimes I'm away for work and the bike is left onsite. In which case it gets a good cold soak. When/if it need a new battery in the future I'll get an uprated one to help.

The idea of the permanent lights came from America (California) to stop people driving off without lights

The twats.

I thought it was some iffy misguided EU legislation to help us all be more visable? It's not helped by the fact my NC has got an inch thick of road salt on its headlights. If I added vinegar my bike would smell like the chippy.

I know that a k4 750 has a function that turns off the lights as you press the starter button. Does the SV not do this?

Its called an unloader relay, its basically a normal relay but instead of being normally open NO its normally closed NC , the battery power comes through it uninterrupted to the headlights when the ignition is on but when you hit the starter this energises it so it opens and therefore cuts the current to the headlights allowing the starter to get all the power and as you let go of the button the field drops away and the relay closes again and you got lights. Simples.

Archived