Tig Welding And Learning The Art

vale

Here is a bit of very general advice for a novice - I started welding with MMA (Ark Welding) on thick mild steel then learned with gas & rods on thin stuff on mild steel (Car body work) & used to braze on really thin mild steel, eventually I purchased my own mig to do repairs on the farm as I was fed up of using gas ( it distorts the metal with the heat much more than mig) I am self taught & I weld with Mig all day but have never used Tig yet (I hope to get an ac-dc set at some point )but these tips are transferable from all forms of welding & these are the basic rules I have used & will use when I do get a set:

1) The one of the most important things is make sure the parts are actually welded - in other words having the prettiest welds in the world is pointless if the bl**dy part falls off 2 miles down the road,

2) Get a good helmet & Gloves etc.- you need to see what you are doing

3) Make sure you clean all parts to be welded

4) Get some scrap & practice, practice, practice Don't start off trying to build the space shuttle - start with basic stuff & build up from there

4) Go to your local a fabrication/welders shop & ask politely (you never know till you ask) if you can watch (take the good helmet & gloves you have bought with you) & ask sensible questions it is surprising how much you can pick up just by watching

5) Don't forget to listen to advice no matter how long you have been welding - I'm sure the other chaps on here still learn things I know I do, I listen to advice then try it if it does not work for me I don't use it - JUST USE YOUR COMMON SENSE

I hope this helps

Wow, you welded noahs boat? awesome! I thought it was made of wood though?

Here is a bit of very general advice for a novice - I started welding with MMA (Ark Welding) on thick mild steel then learned with gas & rods on thin stuff on mild steel (Car body work) & used to braze on really thin mild steel, eventually I purchased my own mig to do repairs on the farm as I was fed up of using gas ( it distorts the metal with the heat much more than mig) I am self taught & I weld with Mig all day but have never used Tig yet (I hope to get an ac-dc set at some point )but these tips are transferable from all forms of welding & these are the basic rules I have used & will use when I do get a set:

1) The one of the most important things is make sure the parts are actually welded - in other words having the prettiest welds in the world is pointless if the bl**dy part falls off 2 miles down the road,

2) Get a good helmet & Gloves etc.- you need to see what you are doing

3) Make sure you clean all parts to be welded

4) Get some scrap & practice, practice, practice Don't start off trying to build the space shuttle - start with basic stuff & build up from there

4) Go to your local a fabrication/welders shop & ask politely (you never know till you ask) if you can watch (take the good helmet & gloves you have bought with you) & ask sensible questions it is surprising how much you can pick up just by watching

5) Don't forget to listen to advice no matter how long you have been welding - I'm sure the other chaps on here still learn things I know I do, I listen to advice then try it if it does not work for me I don't use it - JUST USE YOUR COMMON SENSE

I hope this helps

info like that is what i want, cheers dude.

I've just been having a look on t’internet & found these from miller in the USA, if you ignore the annoying way they say aluminium, it may be useful to someone.

here are the first Two:

I can do most welding + brazing and soldering and personally find TIG one of the easier ones although I've never done aluminium.

Next on list is to have a go at gas ali welding. I'd also like to try titanium as well.

I worked at a stainless fab shop for 2 months this year, and the better welder was a badass with that cup walking technique. He said his rotator cuff in his shoulder is all messed up from it though. His welds looked as good as the ones from the robot they were just starting to use though, super consistent, flat, stack of thin thin dimes.

Archived