Tig Welding And Learning The Art

vale

I know there are a few of you on are beloved forum who can tig but now having a bit of time on my hands i really want to learn this art, but i cannot find any night classes around bristol.

So is it possible to learn thought these dvd and books that can be bought and learn it with scrap pieces by trail and error.

You can learn by trial and error but its easier if you have tuition - a teacher sees what you are doing wrong and can give advice on that - working it out yourself you can get lost. ..compared to mig, tig is not easy to learn

i can't find any classes so i was gonna go and ask a local welder to see if he could show me a few tips. i did notice these teaching dvd but as guzzisti57 said i don't know if i'm doing it right.

First question really is can you weld at all ?

If not, best set your asperations a little lower than tig welding. Mig is far easier and forgiving for leaners. Tig is like good old gas welding...... but your doing it with a very high tech lightening arc from some very expensive kit !!!!

It looks easy to do but like all skilled trades, its easy till you try it for yourself.

First question really is can you weld at all ?

If not, best set your asperations a little lower than tig welding. Mig is far easier and forgiving for leaners. Tig is like good old gas welding...... but your doing it with a very high tech lightening arc from some very expensive kit !!!!

It looks easy to do but like all skilled trades, its easy till you try it for yourself.

been mig for a few years and tried braising with a torch which was hard but really enjoyed.

I'll be following this thread. I can stick bits of metal together but wouldn't ever say I can weld lol

Just secured the use of a nice tig plant to practice with so gonna start with some plate steel and move onto tube then ally.

Welding's mint! Once you get past the 'bloody hell, look at me I'm welding!' stage and actually take your time and start to see what's happening you'll come on leaps and bounds, especially if you can practice regularly and have someone around to show you where you're going wrong. College courses are good for a starter but they tend be less theory and more practice whereas I like to know/be told what's occurring rather than just get a pass/fail mark for sticking two bits of metal together.

I'm not brilliant at it by any stretch of the imagination, but I can stick two bits of steel together relatively neatly and safely using MIG, and I'm just getting to grips with TIG (I took the plunge and bought an AC/DC set at the start of the year to practice with) but I'm a million miles away from posting up pics of my TIG attempts :lol: If you've got the time and can stand to be really crap at something for a while until it clicks, definitely give it a go :) Good luck!

I've seen some people that are natural TIG welders from the minute they pick up the torch it just clicks for them.

For the other 99 percent of the population like me torch time is the only way to improve. The more I weld the better I get.

This guys welding always amazes me ---> [media=]

there are some good links to more on the side too.

This is called walking the cup and is commonly used in pipe welding. it gives a very consistent finish.

This is called walking the cup and is commonly used in pipe welding. it gives a very consistent finish.

Never seen that before. Can you explain what he's doing? I notice he leaves the rod stuck in the wel pool when he rotates the tube.

walk the tig shroud as if moving a large object,from side to side it is a bit tricky but it has its uses

But what does it achieve? is it a method you'd use instead of pulsing

see here Like Sie says, the cup of the torch is resting in the weld gap and the welder is rocking or walking the cup along the groove.

The ark will be following a zig zag pattern giving a very nice neat weld with consistent heat and weld bead.

The filler is held in front of the ark and just flows into the puddle as you move forwards.

But what does it achieve? is it a method you'd use instead of pulsing

each pass of the arc will be pretty much exactly the same. the result looks like a robot has welded it.

You also avoid burning your hand as you do not need to rest on the super hot pipe like you do when you free hand weld.

Thank you guys. So you're not dabing the rod in and out of the weld pool like normal? just feed it in constantly, and let the movement of the cup create the bead.

no still dabbing the rod,weel i do when i go this way,best to have a peddel and pulse the amps to get the beads nice,once you can do this you can have full control of the weld pool as you control the amps the the pool and the filler rod,takes some time to get it all to come together but once you have you will get some good result,ans another tip when welding in other possiosons just dont let your brane know,as if you can get your head round it and egt the weld up ans running on the flat you can do it up side down,iv done 300 pluss amps with 4mm rod on 10m ali plate up side down for a few days non stop,ans at first it was a ball ache,but once you get round it its the same as on the flat..

I can tig,

took about an hour of tuition then practiced for half a day with my tutor dropping in on me,

Spent the afternoon bracing an old kawasaki steel cradle frame.

bit of practice saw me making half-decent looking welds to sheet and tube of varying thicknesses, including getting different thicknesses to stick together - that was tricky as at first you just obliterate the thinner material.

I suppose with practice you learn to use less gas, time and put less heat in the job.

I'm not good, but it's good enough for use, good enough for load.

Never welded before tig, I've never done arc or mig, but I did learn to solder and braze when I was a child.

I've got some heavy amp cable running to the shed for when I find some decent kit, then I'll learn ally and ti.

(the kit is bloody expensive though!)

There is something very satisfying about melting metal together :D

if you were in the east midlans id give you few lession,have tough a rew over the years to tig weld.. :icon_salut:

so if any wants to come to have a lesion just pay for the gas and a few beers,then please pm.

For pipe welding Sie you will want to loose the pedal and use button control. this way you can move around as walking the cup allows you to do full runs without stopping. No need to dab the rod as the arc passing over it will melt it into the puddle. the rod will be less likely to get pulled out of the shield gas too.

Watch this video for an example of a foot control being a pin in the ass.

yep the old peddel..for bigger plate work you just have to have the big amps,i set the migtronics at the last place for two stage on the finger button so they had 100% for pool start then 60% or what ever they wanted for the rest of the run,but on big ali plate the pedal does have its use on pipe it would be a pain,but on flat plate and on the bench its a good thing to have in the old arsenal.

Yep I am a pedal man to be honest but I have had a go on button control for Alu, once its all set up it does make life easyer.

For 0.5mm wall stainless tube though the pedal is the only way to have full control.

yep thats the name of the game,one job a did a few years back was 600 ft of 10mm ali plate tig welding on one job...in all t possions and was a bloody night mear,but the use of peddel ans two stage on the button made it a nice thing to finally get finished

Here is a bit of very general advice for a novice - I started welding with MMA (Ark Welding) on thick mild steel then learned with gas & rods on thin stuff on mild steel (Car body work) & used to braze on really thin mild steel, eventually I purchased my own mig to do repairs on the farm as I was fed up of using gas ( it distorts the metal with the heat much more than mig) I am self taught & I weld with Mig all day but have never used Tig yet (I hope to get an ac-dc set at some point )but these tips are transferable from all forms of welding & these are the basic rules I have used & will use when I do get a set:

1) The one of the most important things is make sure the parts are actually welded - in other words having the prettiest welds in the world is pointless if the bl**dy part falls off 2 miles down the road,

2) Get a good helmet & Gloves etc.- you need to see what you are doing

3) Make sure you clean all parts to be welded

4) Get some scrap & practice, practice, practice Don't start off trying to build the space shuttle - start with basic stuff & build up from there

4) Go to your local a fabrication/welders shop & ask politely (you never know till you ask) if you can watch (take the good helmet & gloves you have bought with you) & ask sensible questions it is surprising how much you can pick up just by watching

5) Don't forget to listen to advice no matter how long you have been welding - I'm sure the other chaps on here still learn things I know I do, I listen to advice then try it if it does not work for me I don't use it - JUST USE YOUR COMMON SENSE

I hope this helps

Archived