Removing Old Base Gasket

kwakbiker

Rebuilding my 1990 XT350 and the old paper/card base gasket is pretty much welded to the barrel. Whats the best way to get it off, been slowly going at it with a stanley knife but obviously run the risk of marking the mating face of the barrel so thought id seek the wisdom here as its my first rebuild. Is there another way or is it slowly, slowly time and hope the new gasket seals nicely with the odd mark in the one face of the joint. Please bear in mind its a 22yr old air/oil cooled thumper so runs bloody hot hence why its stuck tightttttttttttttttttttttttt

yup only way is a blade, keep it nice and flat and it shouldnt dig in!

Done use a whole stanley knife just the blade or it will be hard to hold flat.

If it does dig in a bit it will be ok as long as you rub it flat again with some fine grade wet and dry.

If you do have to do that though make sure you clean it well after as you dont want any granules left in the engine.

it's a miserable job isn't it. all i can say is don't rush it! some kind of blade should do it. when i raced a stroker i used to coat the new base gasket in grease cos that would stop it sticking to the cases or the barrel.

I've tried numerous lotions and potions that all claim to remove gaskets, and not a single one of them even remotely attempts to actually work.

The proper sharp, flat blades are the best way to do it and keeping your cool and paying attention.

Like porter_jamie says, I too wipe a very thin smear of grease on most paper based gaskets, just enough for it to darken the gasket and no more, and at least the future job's a good 'un.

Just be glad you don't have to deal with baked on decade old gaskets as part of your daily job. Bane of a mechanic's life.

I found one of these to be very effective

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=483095

only a couple of quid from homebase. plastic so you don't have to worry about gouging the sealing face.

combined with a can of http://www.wurth.co.uk/data/productdocuments/080065.pdf

together they made mincemeat of the old sump gasket on the R1.

for finer detail work I found a 'window scraper' was much easier than trying to hold a razor blade 'Reg Prescott' style

this sort of thing http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=519873

and no I don't work for homebase!

You're lucky Jim, that Wurth stuff's never worked for me. For some reason I keep trying everything I've got in a can on gaskets, only to realise that's another chunk of time I've wasted!

Glad it worked for you though.

You're lucky Jim, that Wurth stuff's never worked for me. For some reason I keep trying everything I've got in a can on gaskets, only to realise that's another chunk of time I've wasted!

Glad it worked for you though.

the wurth stuff is ok, nothing more. TBH i've had just as good results using aerosol brake & clutch cleaner.

best results were obtained by the scrapers and good ole elbow grease

the ice scraper and a healthy dollop of good ole elbow grease

If you're worried about a particular area where the blade could dig in, reach into your pocket.

2p pieces are ace and easy enough to hold without mascercating yourself or the engine.

Archived