Nbr Related But Van Mains Power Related

matbmx100

Hi Guys

Im wondering if someone with electrical skills can help me

I am planning on installing a mains power system in my Van for use at trackdays. need to run warmers, kettle and george foreman for cooking duties as well as a mains light in the roof.

as i understand it i will need a socket in the side of the van and an rcb then run the cable for the light and the sockets

I know very little about mains electrics could someone be very very kind and draw me a wiring diagram that an idiot can follow?

I need 1 light in the roof and 2 double sockets one on each side of the van..

Im assuming something lke this for a start

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-CAMPER-VAN-TENT-TRAILER-MOTORHOME-CONSUMER-UNIT-FUSE-BOX-C-W-RCD-2-MCBS-/230748710569?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item35b9b1e6a9

what kind of wire do i need and how do we earth things etc?

Thanks

Matt

PS any help will result in endless tea and shelter on trackdays

Okay ive done a bit more reading and im basically looking at creating a ring main arent i?

something like this?

ring_main.jpg

I am also thinking about a weather proof socket on the outside of the van to make tyre warmer connection easier and allow for easier outdoor cooking etc... Ive been meaning to do this for nearly a year and i would like to get it all done before trackdays start again in march

For 2 double sockets I wouldn't bother with a ringmain. Put the light on one breaker and the sockets on the other.

Okay cool how do I wire them? Could you do me a foolproof sketch?

8226875455_269ba85396_m.jpg

Best I can do really, I'm not much cop at drawing!

Just run both lives, neutrals and earths to the relevant outputs of one breaker for the sockets (16A). Then do the same for the light to the other breaker (6A) on the board you linked to.

Check the power draw on the stuff you want to plug in and make sure 16A is enough if not get a box with 3 breakers and run each double socket into its own 16A breaker. Buy the cable accordingly.

I should tell you I'm not an electrician, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it like that myself.

I would also suggest putting the mains in socket under the bonnet if you can, keeps it out of the elements.

Your messing around with 230v in a big metallic van without having much of a clue what your doing. I am an electrician, but Im not going to give advise over the web because I strongly recommend you get someone who knows what they are doing to help you in person.

I find asking questions on forums like http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/index.php a great help,When I wired up electrics from my house to my bike shed I didnt have a clue what I was doing, so I asked on there, showed drawings, took pics of each stage and got conformation that all was well before i went any farther, I dodnt know if it has the stuff you are looking for, but it wont hurt to ask..

• 3 weeks later...

Just run both lives, neutrals and earths to the relevant outputs of one breaker for the sockets (16A). Then do the same for the light to the other breaker (6A) on the board you linked to.

Check the power draw on the stuff you want to plug in and make sure 16A is enough if not get a box with 3 breakers and run each double socket into its own 16A breaker. Buy the cable accordingly.

I should tell you I'm not an electrician, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it like that myself.

I would also suggest putting the mains in socket under the bonnet if you can, keeps it out of the elements.

Thanks mate I had totally forgotten to check this thread, I managed to drive the bloody thing into the back of a car so at the minute I'm investigating replacing most of the front bodywork....

This is a project for the new year! Thanks

Thanks mate I had totally forgotten to check this thread, I managed to drive the bloody thing into the back of a car so at the minute I'm investigating replacing most of the front bodywork....

This is a project for the new year! Thanks

Your messing around with 230v in a big metallic van without having much of a clue what your doing. I am an electrician, but Im not going to give advise over the web because I strongly recommend you get someone who knows what they are doing to help you in person.

Appreciated mate, to be fair I'm not a bike mechanic but ill fix my bike and I'm sure I could do myself in with ballsing that up as well..

Ill be carefull and do have a basic understanding of electricity due to sometimes partaking in basic emergency fixing of things at work....

Appreciated mate, to be fair I'm not a bike mechanic but ill fix my bike and I'm sure I could do myself in with ballsing that up as well..

Ill be carefull and do have a basic understanding of electricity due to sometimes partaking in basic emergency fixing of things at work....

That'll be reet then!

Well maybe.... Maybe not only one way to find out isn't there.....

Anyone seeing my van at a trackday next year is advised not to touch any bare metal at all........ Ill only drive it in wellys just to be on the safe side as well.

Archived