Getting A 2 Stroke Going After A Long Lay Up

drunkn munky

Decided to pull the cagiva mito out of the shed the other week where its been sitting for a couple of years. It ran fine before but before i attempt to start it up is there anything i should do before hand? ie oil down the bore or something? Last thing i want is it seizing up as it had a new top end before the lay up.

The tank is off to be painted so thats drained and the carb is off being cleaned so anything else?

I'd be inclinded to do the first start up on a weak pre-mix (50:1 possibly), at least then you can be sure it's getting oil. Once your happy that the oil pump's delivering properly, switch to normal fuel.

Thats sounds sensible as dont the pumps only deliver oil when the throttle is opened? I thought it best to just let it tick over for a while on first start up or am i better off giving it a little rev?

Sorry dont have much experience of 2 smokes except of back when i was wee one and bike maintenance was the last thing on my mind back then.

Forgot to say, as you've got the tank off, fit a new plug, and you may as well change the gearbox oil too.

As long as you don't rev it too hard, blipping the throttle should be ok. Once it's happy to tick over You can bleed the oil pump. Don't be tempted to run it hard using the pre-mix, as the extra oil can make it run slightly leaner.

The pump will always add oil to the fuel at the correct rate (if it's set up correctly), what you may be thinking of is when your throttle is shut but the engine's at high revs (on the brakes for example), then the amount of oil is much lower than it would be at the same revs but on an open throttle. But I agree, a dab of oil in the bore and turn it by hand for 15 seconds, then start it on a tank of premix. Have a fresh plug standing by too.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure on Italian stuff , but Jap strokers have a check valve to stop oil syphoning back from the engine.

Wouldn't do it any harm to warm it up on pre-mix though , just to be sure .

Has it been kept somewhere cold or warm ?

There;s a chance that the exhaust port was left open , and if it's been kept somewhere cold and damp , condensation could make its way into the engine , so bore (or is it chrome?) and bearings at risk , so it might sound ok initially , but then develop whirry bearings if they've got pitted with rust.

Also oil seals will harden over time , strokers don't like sitting there !

The pump will always add oil to the fuel at the correct rate (if it's set up correctly),

Yeah but there will be oil in the fuel anyway so the overall petrol/oil mixture in the cylinder ends up being higher in oil content which is thus lower in petrol content and so more likely to detonate and seize.

Ok new plug has arrived so might give it a try this weekend time permitting, plan of action is,

Bit of oil down the bore

Turn over by hand

Disconnect pump feed to carb and run on premix initially

Fingers crossed and pray :)

Please feel free to correct that list

Ok new plug has arrived so might give it a try this weekend time permitting, plan of action is,

Bit of oil down the bore

Turn over by hand

Start engine

Stand there and breathe deeply as you stare all misty eyed through the blue grey haze and pine for a forgotten youth whilst lazily blipping the throttle.

Start coughing uncontrollably because you forgot to open the garage door

Fixed for you. :thumbsup:

Why are you going to be running pre-mix? If the oil pump is shagged it's still going to be shagged after you run a bit of pre-mix through the engine.

edit: nvm. Testing oil pump. I'm slow.

Bit of oil down the bore

Turn over by hand

Please feel free to correct that list

Block off the oil pump feed to the carb,you'll draw air through it!

Archived