Old...old....very Old...skool Thunper Dumper Engines

speedy sie

right this is performance bike forum,and need some info on old 1920,30,40 250cc engines as in the likes of jap,ect,ect,,,and linked gear box or add on??

witch was ,is the best 250 engine to buy??....for a modern day ali beam framed project for us to make from scratch???

and help would be great :icon_salut:

just a thought not in to old skool pre 40's engine and was told the old jap 250 was used in old race bike,but a 500???now that seems like a battle plan.

if any one know to a project old,thumper dumper 250/500 engine,nust be all there but in bits and not run for over 50m years is ok,as the engine will be modded and tunned buy my self,no just all the main parts needed realy.

saw thess one and got the mine juices flowing...

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d6b1de7f

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3ccc4b1e4c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VILLIERS-SINGLE-CYLINDER-ENGINE-GEARBOX-BARN-FIND-/160922273834?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2577b7082a

i dont know iv been looking at JAP engines and realy want to do a ali beam framed race bike build by us with a JAP engine in it,and have it to a modern spec,realy like the idea of a full fairing with JAP ,logo on it...yum,yummmm

Sie you relise an old push rod 250 single will struggle to make 12hp. If in the unlikely event you tune it to make 25hp, the crankcase will last about 2 minutes before it falls apart.

The historic F3 car guys run jap 500 singles making 40+ hp, they are lucky if the see 6 races out of a set of crank cases.

A yamaha sr500 or suzuki Dr motor will make 50hp fairly easily.

Grass track engines run on Methanol. Will run very hot if you want to run them on petrol. even more so if you wrap a fairing around them.

The only thing about using an old engine, is that you are going to have to do a full rebuild. parts are probably not anything like off the shelf, so maybe a pricey quest?.

will do as this is going to be the next project,and as for hp...well wot ever i can get i see the speed way engines at 80bhp???...but it looking like a speed way engine??

Have you thought about using an enfield bullet 500 engine? Many many more of them about, not collectable or rare so you won't pay a premium for that, lots of spares, 40's looks (I think, or is it pre-war?), known tuning routes to getting power that'd at least see off a modern 4t 125. I'm not actually sure that personally I'd be embarking on this sort of thing, but if I was, this is what I'd be looking at first. 22hp as stock, you might be able to get late 20's with a bit/lot of luck.

What you want is one of these Simon...

Never seen one in a beam frame tho.

It will not be cheap but will have a good reliable 45 - 50 BHP and make nice noises to. :dribble:

g50eng2.jpg

Of course, you still need one of these to make use of your 45 - 50BHP...

TT Industries gearbox. Not cheap but you do get a very smooth gearchange. :biggrinvk4:

amc_gearbox_casing_01_main.jpg

This set up will save you alot of time trying to keep your methanol fed 250 JAP engine in one piece. :lol::eusa_think:

will do as this is going to be the next project,and as for hp...well wot ever i can get i see the speed way engines at 80bhp???

The older 70s two valve head Jawas were about 50bhp, with the later 4 valve ones adding about 10 bhp.

But remember they aren't built around any amount of long running. Oil only gets one pass through and is collected out the bottom and chucked.

yep just coming back from work and thought about a the concept,still single 500cc with remote gear box,but modern engine as pointed out will be easer to keep running,next one wot class could a 500 single hand made bike race it??

wot class could a 500 single hand made bike race it??

Bemsee Thunderbikes with a fairing, Thundersport Streetfighter 'C' without :)

With your original brief, a pre-war single, I'd bet any class'd have you, even the c90 cup I'd imagine!

£100 quid says you won't get 5bhp.

Archived