How Often Should I Get My Race/trackday Engine Rebuilt

stevieweavie

How often should I get the engine in my track/race pre injection rebuilt? Its not standard by the way it shifts , I'm guessing its got different cams in it as its rather peaky, so I figure this this shorten the time between refreshing. Also, how much will a rebuild cost by someone who guienuinly knows waht they are doing?

If you only do 2 trackday's then it would be once every 10 years or so.. If you done more then it would be less time. How long is a piece of string..If it were me i would do regular oil & filter changes (every 2-3 trackdays) and then a good going over at end of season.. I dont think you will need a rebuild though unless down on power on dyno or summat else to warrant the rebuild.. IMO of course.

If it aint broke dont fix it. :icon_salut:

if it was me, and the motor was 'tuned' i would have it completely apart and start again to make sure. it's the only way to know. i think people charge maybe 1500 quid for a refresh? something like that would be reasonable.

Someone like Nikki Kennedy or Graham Barrow (both well respected tuners) will be in the region of £1000-£1500 for a full engine refresh/rebuild at a rough guess.

Do you know your motors spec/state of tune?? Has it done a full race season (say 8 meetings with 4 races each) or just a couple?

A friend of mine who raced a pi r6 did both his bikes at the end of every season. Luckily he had the skill and know how to do it himself so he saved a small fortune.

I'm debating doing mine, but unsure of how far to go with it really.

Was going to valve clearances, compression check, leakdown check but what else? Do they replace the big end shells as a matter of course?

Not done any 4 stroke race stuff before!

I would yes.

Probably a good idea, rather than having one let go. Is it not a replace on condition job? The motor was rebuilt 2 years ago and it's done a few races this year, although with lots of oil changes and not ridden massively hard.

I'll have to get my Readers Digest book on rebuilds out

Once you're in there you'll be in a better place to judge. Thing is once you're in there you're as well doing it if you see what I mean.

new rod bolts if you undo the old ones. and new cam chain if you are going in that far. edit seen your post above

it's a lot of work, if the bike isnt worth that much just carry on riding it...

It's a four stroke, change the oil and filter check the valve clearences and ride the balls off it, when it goes pop (probably never) then fix it with some fancy bits added in, your to used to having to rebuild them 2 smokes every 5 minutes lol

Archived