Is There Anyway To Convert To Cable Speedo To Accept A Digital Drive ?

hollo

Hello , Can anyone help me ? .

I've just bought an RG500 and it's fitted with a GSXR1000 complete front end ( forks , calipers and wheel ) . The problem that I have is the RG500 speedo is drive by a cable , but the GSXR wheel doesn't have any drive for the speedo . Given the choice I'd like to try and keep the clocks looking original , rather then fit a new digital dash .

I've had a good look on the internet but cannot find anything that can help . Does any know of a way I can convert the standard RG500 speedo , so that it can be driven by a digital imput ?

Thanks

Mike .

Thanks for the reply and the link ,I've already mailed that company but they couldn't help . Yes , I need the opposite , as I've the speedo which is cable driven, but no way of running a cable to it with the front wheel I now have .

Option B is to fit a complete new digital set up , but given the choice I'd like to keep the clocks looking standard.

Thanks again

Mike .

I would be inclined to sell the Thou front end, buy some standard RG forks and have Maxton convert to their GP20 cartridge spec. Fit a GSX 600 front wheel and you will retain the standard look of the RG but with much improved feel from the front end. And the forks will have the correct spring rate for the bike.

And your speedo drive problem won't be much of a problem anymore...

...Ooooh, I've just found a lovely button...I could get a suit made to match it...

If you want to keep the front end you'll need to change the wheel for one with a speedo drive. If your really lucky they'll be a suzuki wheel that will bolt in - try oldskool suzuki forum.

If the speedo drive wheel alters the fork centers you might find the triple clamps from the same bike will work .... or not :bdaysmile:

Thanks for all the helpfull replies so far , but I don't want to go down the route of swapping the front end over again , even though I don't really want to , it looks like it will be easier to do down the new digital clocks route , unless somone knows of a way I can get the standard speedo to work without the standard cable drive.

Thanks

Mike .

Is there no way you could make room (by removing a spacer perhaps) in the front to fit a speedo drive?

Thanks for the suggestion lorenzo , I'm not not sure if that's possible , as I know that the spindle on the GSXR1000 is a lot thicker then the RG one. This was really the the reason for my post , just to ask if anyone has done anythong like this before. It's looking more likely that I'm going to go down the plan B route and have to fit digital clocks.

Archived