Bike No Start.

Harry Muff

Hello peeps.

Reattached battery to bike today, spun up nice but didn't fire. After a few goes, I noticed I forgot to reattach the black Power Commander lead to the battery too. Oops. Hooked it up thinking that it be ok now. Wrong. Still same.

Have I pissed off something in the bike? Is the PC boo boo irrelevant and something is up anyway?

It's been standing for a couple of weeks in my garage and worked a treat last time out.

The battery is on charge for another crack later.

Any ideas?

Bike is a 2006 Fireblade with a PC3 USB.

Ta.

Make sure the lead for your pc3 is connected to the correct terminal on the battery, positive or earth, can't remember which way round.

I did this with my k2 disconnected it all doing some work, rebuilt it, lights all worked on pc3 bike would crank but not fire, after much messing (cleaning injectors and fuel pump in tank) I swapped the lead from the pc3 from I think positive to earth or the other way round and she fired up first time.

It's always been on the black terminal. I take the battery off a lot but this is the first time I've forgotten to reattach the black PC3 cable to the battery again.

Check the lights on the pc3 are going through the start up sequence if they are and your sure the pc3 is connected as it has always been the next thing would be to disconnect it and see if she goes then, you said you think it's cranking?

Green lights go up and down as normal. Pretty sure it's cranking. Emptied the battery quick enough anyway. I've put some WD40 in the kill switch and the ignition as that was playing up a while back.

The whole bike seems absolutely fine as regard to start up procedure; all relevant lights go on/off, fuel pump makes its noises, starter turns over without any fuss.

It just won't actually fire.

The plugs have hardly done any miles and the bike performed perfectly a couple of weeks ago.

I've even given it a shake to make sure there's petrol in it.

Me confused.

(Pretty sure its cranking)?? So when you press the starter button the engine is turning over but not firing up?

If it is turning over then the ignition/killswitch is working the starter,

If it was me I would check fuel in tank, charge battery till fully charged, disconnect the fuel pipe if you can going to the rail and see if when you switch the ignition on the fuel pump is supplying fuel to the rail, disconnect the pc3 completely from injectors etc

Is there any kind of tip over device that could have tripped or anything?

It shouldn't take more than an hour so two to get to the spark plugs, try spraying some fuel down the intake if she fires up then you know your getting a spark and its a fuel delivery issue

Have you turned the fuel on?.. I know, but it can happen!.

No tap on a 2006 Fireblade....

Check the tilt sensor's plugged in, and mounted correctly. However I think if that's playing up it won't trigger the fuel pump to prime.

Do you have a spare key for the bike? Try it as the transponder in the keyfob may be playing up and not disarming the HISS system. OR somehow the key may have somehow un-programmed itself from the bike. Worth a try as it's not unheard of.

Lastly you may have a problem with the fuel pump itself. Here's the most foolproof way to test it. It may not be the tidiest, but it works.

Remove the tank (with fuel in)

Attach 2 wires to a fully charged battery, with eyelets crimped on for the bolts on the battery, for safety

Attach a tube to the fuel connector at the bottom of the tank and put it in a bucket or jerry can or such.

Touch the wires on the appropriate power connector pins on the bottom of the fuel pump.

If fuel comes out of the tube, your pump is fine, is it doesn't, then it's fubared.

Hope this helps!

Some good advice here chaps. I'll get onto it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Believe me checking the plugs on a 2006 Blade is a massive job!

What volts does the battery give? have you done a load lest on it as well.

Try a know good battery.. poor batterys may turn the bike over but wont give a strong enough spark to make the bike fire.

Found out what was wrong... It's got shit in it.

Put a freshly charged battery in and gave it some.

First thing it did was back fire, then it farted before firing up.

Ran a but lumpy for a minute but a few right hand-fulls and she was good to go. (I've got a good right wrist you know...)

Anyway, it's got a rag down the exhaust now and the battery is back on charge for the next time I need it.

Thanks for all the advice though chaps. I'm just glad it turned out to be straight forward.

No tap on a 2006 Fireblade....

Check the tilt sensor's plugged in, and mounted correctly. However I think if that's playing up it won't trigger the fuel pump to prime.

Do you have a spare key for the bike? Try it as the transponder in the keyfob may be playing up and not disarming the HISS system. OR somehow the key may have somehow un-programmed itself from the bike. Worth a try as it's not unheard of.

If it was any of those, the fuel pump wouldn't prime the fuel circuit.

Has anything been removed from the bike since you last parked it up? or has it just sat there? Why was the battery disconnected?

I am about a day late but I can confirm a slightly iffy battery (and on a blade of this era they were always close to that from new) on a modern bike will often turn it over but do fuck all else.

Believe it or not, the one on there now is the original battery. Yup, 6 1/2 years old. It's seen off two new batteries that were bought to replace it that have died and now sit in the corner of the garage.

It occasionally shows Green & Yellow on the battery charger but it's the only one I can rely on as long as I don't leave it standing connected for more than 7 days.

Archived