Stuck Choke.

spectrum

I've got a (no sniggering at the back please !!) a Suzi FR80 I've just picked up cheap. Choke wasn't working and further investigation as revealed the slide is stuck / seized into the carb.

I've tried all the usual stuff, heaps of release agent, warming up carb body with heat gun while hanging carb upside down with weights on cable. Wont budge.

Any ideas ? I assume the slide is either aluminium or brass ? Just going to throw the whole thing in some diesel. Otherwise looks like a new carb.

Anything else worth a try ?

probably brass and corroded in place. not sure if it will ever come out if that is the case as the alu swells with corrosion squeezing the piece into place.

No picture but it's a Mikuni VM14 SC.

Choke slide is just a very small cylinder that fits into top of body. I suspect it IS corrosion. Is there anyway to bypass choke as a temporary measure ? It will start if I squirt a drop of juice into air filter but it's a pain.

Ah right got ya..

These are a pain to get out if im honest mate.. And as the bit is brass (great idea ,,not) and force and you will pull the cable mount out rendering the carb useless unless you drill it out.

I had a chinese moped i done and this had the exact same problem. i managed to get it done but it took some time..I used heat..

Shame you cant sent it to me.. i could repair it with a new brass bit..looks like you need it though for work.

You need to take the carb off the bike to do it..Just take your time

This is yours if im correct..The one with the shorter black rubber boot on is the choke. You need to apply the heat where the raised casting mark is as the brass bit sits round about that low.Apply the heat to that area and leave the choke cable attached.Spray WD40 in the hole where the cable goes.. As it heats up and expands the wd40 will go past it keep doing this on and off with the heat until the wd40 does not stay in there as long.. use a VERY GENTLE pulling action on the cable to pull the brass bit up and out.Dont pull too hard or it WILL come out and leave the brass bit in there.

It took me about 3-4 hours to do the chinese one but it cam out in the end in one piece. Good luck

IMG_5757.jpg

Great, thanks BB, I'll give it another crack and see what happens. I used heat gun last time I tried, is that any good or do I need something where i can be a bit more precise with heat (thinking butane torch) ? Dont want to end up with a Mr Blobby carb !!

Archived