11.59Volts- Huston We Have A Breakdown

ssray

I finished my first of 7 night shifts, get to the station around 0730, the bike ntv650 was felling a bit missy on the sparky front, i thought it may be fuel so i filled up, then dumped it at the petrol station

i got a jump(start) and upon arrival home I whipped out my tester and at all revs from tickover to 7k its showing from 11.39 to 11.59, with the lights on its showing 11.18- having been awake for approx 27hrs i`m not going to rip it apart as i need it tonight

any idea where to look first? the other day I repositioned one of the two earth wires to the frame and checked the connection for the reg/rec which looked cruddy on the bike side but clean and newish on the reg/rec side

any simple ideas, apart from go to bed???

Ta

Ray

The usual suspects:Regulator,stator,and magnet.I would start in that order.If you know someone with the same model,just ask to try the regulator.You may get lucky.

NTV 650 Revere 92-97

Coil primary resistance 2.2-2.6 ohms

Secondary resistance 20000-25000 ohms

Pick up coil resistance 450-550 ohms

volts should be 13.5-15.5 @ 3000rpm

battery YTX9-BS 12volt/8Ah

ignition system is a TCI not a CDI if you need any other stats let me know.

The low volts in your battery could be a bad cell in the battery, could be a old battery not holding charge.. But the fact that its not going up when you are revving it point to Reg/rec or alternator/stator .. i dont have tests for these in my book.. But check your battery terminals are clean and tight.

EDIT:- if it is your reg then id buy a new battery while you are at it as it might have ruined it.

Battery was brand new 3 weeks ago, I have just found 3 yellow wires that have fused together and melted the plug, can I just reconnect them with bullet type connectors?

Thanks for the info

Ray

Fuckty fuck, jumped on it git round the corner headlight blew then the redt of the sparks, now at lye station off to brum then euston

going to be a long shift

ray

Not much point getting one, it was nicked from outside my house last night qnd is now in a local river

not sure how im going to recover it

a bit fucked off and still no sleep

Ray

Effin hell!Never rains but it pours as they say :(

Glad you got it back,and hopefully it's not totally screwed.

A chap from the ntv forum drove 65 miles to deliver some bits, then helped pull it apart and fit a new loom, it ran for a few seconds but we think that the cdi unit may have got damp

the plugs had a spark then that went, will need to test the cdi but may be able to borrow one from a mate

Cheers

Ray

got home from nights and back on tonight, sleep for wimps?

Fini work at 0630, went my other mates hse(yes I have 2 mates) in hayes, got home with his spare cdi and.................it fucking works

have to rewire the bum end tomorrow,also the person who had it before had put the loom on the wrong side and other things, hopefully the winter hack is ok now

Thanks for responding, it helps when stuck in even a little bit of poo

Cheers

Ray

Archived