Stm Crf450R Clutch...

Chrisa112

Alright guys,

Hoping for someone to shed some light on this problem I currently have.

I've got an STM slipper clutch on my supermoto and I need to change the plates.

Issue I have is...How the fook do I get the central nut off without the clutch spinning?

IMG_4537.jpg

I cant use a clutch holding tool because whilst all the plates are still in the clutch it has nothing to get hold off. You can only use it when the plates are out to hold the basket still, correct?

Any ideas would be good as I don't want to jam something in there to stop it spinning and f*ck the clutch up.

P.s. I dont have or have access to an air wrench ;)

You could try to shove clean rags into the two main recesses but I doubt it would work. I have used this method well for clutch's that have pretty much the entire circumferences well exposed enough to jam rags around it. Rattle gun and the nuts off in a jiffy.

put it in gear and get a mate to stand on the rear brake, whilst you undo the centre nut

^ this, in fact, you can hold the rear brake yourself and do it. Alternatively take the red anodised cap off (in the pic) and there is an allen head on the end of the crank

Are you familiar with STM's ?

Once you have cracked off the nut (it shouldn't be too tight) make sure you lay the bike on it's left side other you run the risk of the ball bearings in the hub coming adrift from their ramps and dropping into the case.

Also, there is a serated washer behind that nut that must go in the same way it came out.

Yours is an early version STM and pretty easy to work on

shouldn't need one as it shouldn't be that tight...definately don't do it back up with an impact wrench

Right, had a bash at undoing the clutch nut.

Stopped the crank turning using that allen head bolt (didn't know it was there, cheers!) and a wrench.

Tried undoing the nut, anti-clockwise as usual, but it did not budge...I thought i was just undoing the nut (felt like undoing a really tight nut, but it never got any looser). Not sure where to go from here.

When I tried to undo the clutch nut, the pressure plate on the front (with the writing on it) would move out like I was engaging the clutch.

Any ideas?

If you didn't realise, I've never delt with a clutch before haha.

Would of needed that tool ^ if I didn't borrow an air wrench off my mate :D Span the nut off easy as pie.

Replaced the clutch plates as per the Hinson instructions sheet.

The old plates didn't look very worn to be honest, so I hope that fitting the new ones soaked in the correct oil will make a difference.

Everything is back together now, ready to try out tomorrow.

It's all shiny!

C22CB7F5-5A1B-4CE8-A953-241FA67FD641-6646-00000157AB24093E.jpg

Archived