Cbr Broke Down Is It A Charger Fault

Leighio

Hi guy's and gal's hope you may be able to help me with a problem on my bike.

On my commute home from work on Wednesday traveling along the Kings Road and whilst stationary noticed that my display was blank. Upon revving the engine and getting some speed up the display came back, as I carried on through London the bike was lunging along. By the time I got to the Highway at Tower Bridge the bike gave up and stalled with the lights all going dim. After finally being picked up four hours later by the fourth emergency service and getting home at half one I had time to think what may be the cause. Now one conclusion that I was thinking off was dodgy battery though this was replaced in May. Next I was thinking either alternator or regulator but would ask people if these items are built into one on this model of Fireblade (929cc 02 model) or are they separate and how do you test them? My next thinking was a short or broken cable esomewhere on this model that is a common fault. Any help is greatly appreciated all thanks

Sounds like alternator/reg-rec

Get multi meter and test you charging out put 13.5-15.5 @ 5000rpm

35amps @ 5000 rpm

battery should be YTZ10s 12v/8.6amp

Yep - Reg/rec, it's an older Honda. However in turn this can cause problems with the alternator too.

No they are seperate items, the reg rec just looks like an olive green heatsink with numerous large fins (can't think of the location on that bike right now) and the alternator/generator is on the LH side of the engine inside the engine cover.

Check this out - could prove useful.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Cheers one and all, managed to have a look at the bike and battery looks all ok with just under 12 volts showing but just not enough capacity to start the bike. Jumped the bike and it ran on its own with no lights on, I let the bike warm up a little before holding the revs at 5k. Voltage was nothing near what has been said so next step is as people have said rev alternator. Just out of interest any difficulties in getting the old alternator off and new one in? Cheers all for for help.

Yep - Reg/rec, it's an older Honda. However in turn this can cause problems with the alternator too.

No they are seperate items, the reg rec just looks like an olive green heatsink with numerous large fins (can't think of the location on that bike right now) and the alternator/generator is on the LH side of the engine inside the engine cover.

Check this out - could prove useful.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

This is a real help many thanks

You can split the charging circuit into 2 parts: the alternator, producing AC at fairly high voltages, and the reg/rec side, producing DC at levels you'd expect to see at the battery end. The AC you want about 50V at about 5k between each of the 3 phases. Make sure you measure them all as 1 being down will result in your charging circuit being a third down, adding extra strain to other parts of the system. From the out of the reg rec you want about 13v at tick over, rising to about 14.5v or so as you rev it, flattening off as you rev it higher.

If you've got 12v from your battery but it won't start it implies that you've lost cells on your battery, probably from it being frazzled by the reg/rec which has overcharged it, and hence although the voltage is right, the current it can produce is too low to turn the starter. If you get a reg rec off a different bike but one with a cable rather than a plug directly on the unit itself, you can use more or less any brand off any bike so long as it has a similar current usage (ie, any big bike really), you just need to know which 3 are the inputs from the alternator (3 cables which all look the same, it doesn't matter which way round you get them) and then which 2 are the dc outputs, the positive and the negative. It's such a simple system, you really have to wonder why it took honda the best part of 15 years to manage to get it reliable!?

sounds very familiar! I had similar problems with my fireblade ('00 929) took it to my local friendly garage, they checked it over,turned out to be the alternator,two crispy windings and a general burn out of the rest!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update well finally got around to taking a look at the bike. Checked it all out and looks like the alternator/generator is at fault. Got in touch with Westcoast windings as its only up the road from me and ouch £129 for a repaired unit, now don't get me wrong but that does sound a little strap to me. So any ideas where I can get a replacement, know about breakers and have tried Eplay so any points greatly appreciated

Archived