My Next Nc30 Question

lorenzo

just seen this thread.

When i was in europe on the 35 i was managing between 150 - 165kms between fill ups, so whats that 90 - 100 miles to a tank and this was mostly quick road stuff.

guy with me on his NC30 was putting in on average 1 euro less than me to fill his tank.

both had full systems and luggage and above average weight riders*

*Fat fuckers at 15+ stone

Rode mine today. Didn't think about the fuel consumption once :)

You should ride yours more often, having to fill up twice as often as I did on the 675 has made me notice. In fairness i did realise the other day I was sat coming home at 11:30PM (which is 50% of my shifts, so I guess a fair few of them involve this sort of thing) doing a shade over a ton and thinking 'this might be one of my reasons for iffy economy'. In terms of strengthening my neck muscles though, it's cheaper than the gym.

You should ride yours more often

Love to, however I can't afford the petrol ;) Seriously though, it does drink heavily unless you bimble around which is no fun at all.

Is the back brake binding? I do recall mine is thirsty...but that is the price you pay for revs!

Do you want to buy a ZX6r for cheap? does miles to the gallon, is stealthy and my mate might be selling his...

No, I don't want anything else at all, i'm really quite enjoying it, despite its limitations. It's rather like Hipringle: a bit too small, old, scruffy looking, wouldn't pass a modern emissions test, drinks too much, but still a bit of a laugh.

• 1 month later...

Update! I had thefatman come round today (remember him?!) for some totally unrelated thing, and I collared him to give me a hand getting the carbs off. Turns out it's not that hard, proving you use a crowbar. Seriously! Anyway, once they were off, everything was stripped down and a few little issues were spotted. Firstly the pilot screws were all out at random places. One about 1 turn out, one about 4 out, the other 2 at 2.5. Stock is 2 turns. I'm not sure how much difference this'll make in terms of economy and general running, but for idling it should help a bit. The thing that will help is the sticky float. The valve bit has a sprung plunger in the middle, and on one of the carbs this was seized in solid so the float itself could come all the way up without hitting the valve. This was sat in a tub of cleaner for a small while and poked with a little needle, and eventually it popped out. The jets and needles are stock, and are now officially clean too. The final little problem was that one of the carb rubbers simply wasn't done up around the carb, so I suspect there could have been a little vacuum leak there too.

We started it back up and let it rev for a while, it's a good bit smoother than it was before, much less popping at idle, and it seemed to be a bit more responsive to revs too. Tomorrows commute in will be the proof of the pudding.

He wants to take a car over to it in the dead of night when the river freezes just to confuse the neighbours as to how he got it over there....

Anyway, the good news, it idles beautifully now. Previously, to get it to idle when cold at about 1200 (it'd cut out below that) I had the adjuster wound out so it'd be at 2k hot. Now it purrs at 1000 cold, and goes up to about 1400 hot. Lovely.

The hesitancy is still there, but hey ho, it's no biggy, and we'll see what the float height does for the fuel economy next time I fill up. I can't do it on this tank as I spilt about a pint of the stuff forgetting to turn the tap off when I pulled the tank....

He live on an island in the middle of a river with only footbridge access, and is doing up a house in the middle with only a wheelbarrow to get stuff over. I'm a little disappointed to be honest, I'd have had him down as building a V4 powered raft, but hey, he's mellowed a bit.

Archived