Trick Electrical Connectors - Anyone Name These Or Know Of Others?

marcaztls

Af'noon, pop quiz time...

I've a couple of mates building very trick mosickles and they'd like to use some fancy dan electrical connectors. In particular ones similar to these in the pics below.

_RGP3909_zpsb583bb42.jpg

_RGP3887_zps7a77abf2.jpg

So if anyone knows who makes these (Magneti Marelli maybe?) or any similar uber trick connectors, shout up please ;)

They look like bog standard aircraft type electrical plug connectors. I'd be looking at Plessey, GEC, Maplin, etc for them.

I may even be able to acquire some from work for you.

I've been meaning to try and get a catalogue off some people called Avialec in Petersfield.

Can't find a web site for them, might be a bit QT being Aerospace. Tel numbers come up in online directories.

both deutsche and souriau come highly recommended. but they are expensive. but when you inspect them you see why. the tools to assemble them can be expensive too, and the contacts cannot usually be soldered. this is because they need to be used with appropriate cable, which is super fine for the current rating.

i too will be keeping an eye on this thread as its something i would love to do, but the money of it has always put me off.

For small applications I can recommend the Binder connectors millemille's mentioned above - available from RS components. See my build thread for a detailed write up when I used one to allow my quickshifter to be removed from the bike with ease.

This is great info for sure.

I am in the market to find these type of connectors. I am using a fuel cell and it requires relocation of the ECU. I'd like to clean up the harness with this type of connectors rather than just cutting and splicing. The more options I have for that, the better.

This is great info for sure.

I am in the market to find these type of connectors. I am using a fuel cell and it requires relocation of the ECU. I'd like to clean up the harness with this type of connectors rather than just cutting and splicing. The more options I have for that, the better.

Hope you are getting the QD fuel lines too.

Oddly enough, I have acquired the tools for crimping. I also have a few of the connectors that I was planning on using to wire the NSR over winter with.

Should look neat!

Oddly enough, I have acquired the tools for crimping. I also have a few of the connectors that I was planning on using to wire the NSR over winter with.

Should look neat!

I'd definitely like to see what you come up with.

I make motorsport looms using some of these connectors. It all depends on your budget, you can buy a lot of oem connectors and just buy one pair of mating halves if your planning on moving your ecu

Use these a lot, working in the aerospace/defence industry. They are available in different finishes as well so you don't have to stick with the olive drab. Generically they are from the 38999 family but other manufacturers have their own part numbers that are equivalents but they can be cross referenced easily.

As other have mentioned they aren't cheap and you really need the right tools to do the crimps properly and having the right type of wire as millemille mentioned makes it easier.

We've use a company called Glenair in the past, decent to deal with as well. Look here .....

http://www.glenair.co.uk/

You should be able to download a PDF catalogue showing most types, pin outs, layouts etc as well as back shells and clamps for conduits/cable coverings.

I've got some in a box at work but probably no use for the stuff you want to do as they're specific to our jobs.

the black ones in the photos are motorsport specific being very light in weight. If you wanted to do your nsr you'd have to start from scratch as the terminals take pretty small wire (22awg max) Mclaren F1 team amongst others use down to 30awg

Any ideas where I would get the rubber boots for said connectors? Or something I could use for that purpose? (instead of heatshrink, which goes brittle when shrunk and not that flexible.)

Use these a lot, working in the aerospace/defence industry. They are available in different finishes as well so you don't have to stick with the olive drab. Generically they are from the 38999 family but other manufacturers have their own part numbers that are equivalents but they can be cross referenced easily.

As other have mentioned they aren't cheap and you really need the right tools to do the crimps properly and having the right type of wire as millemille mentioned makes it easier.

We've use a company called Glenair in the past, decent to deal with as well. Look here .....

http://www.glenair.co.uk/

You should be able to download a PDF catalogue showing most types, pin outs, layouts etc as well as back shells and clamps for conduits/cable coverings.

I've got some in a box at work but probably no use for the stuff you want to do as they're specific to our jobs.

This. Pretty much posted everything I was gonna say lol.

We use 'em on fast jets and helicopters. Tidy connectors, solid as fook too.

Cibbersicks - check out Farnell's website.

Archived