Fork Rechroming

marcaztls

The place I used to use has closed (don't get many sets rechromed these days to be fair and haven't contacted them for at least two years...) and the seemingly most popular one, pittedforks.co.uk are quoting £225 all in for a stripped pair of upside down forks. That seems a lot to me, I'm pretty sure Iused to pay around £80-100 for a pair previously.

I know a bit of time has passed but that's one hell of a jump...

So, anyone know of a cheaper place that they have good experience with?

Ta muchly in advance.

Had the same trouble last year, ended up paying pitted forks about £180ish to do a pair of xs500 forks

:(

seems there's just not the old school engineers and surface treatment places around anymore.

Might be worth giving John Gaskell at Revs suspension a bell to see who he uses. He rebuilt the forks for Dad's Triumph T100 and does quite a lot of classic stuff. I'm sure he had someone doing his chroming for him.

Had the same trouble last year, ended up paying pitted forks about £180ish to do a pair of xs500 forks

:(

seems there's just not the old school engineers and surface treatment places around anymore.

First shop I worked in, we used a place that charged around 30 quid per fork to rechrome. That was a long time ago and they're long gone now (maybe why?!) but you're right, doesn't seem to be many places even advertising fork rechroming now. I know it's not the same process as 'normal' rechroming but I'm surprised by the lack of them still...

Might end up going down the route of new aftermarket tubes as I can get them trade for basically the same price as pittedforks are charging and they've said four week turnaround too! :o

Might be worth giving John Gaskell at Revs suspension a bell to see who he uses. He rebuilt the forks for Dad's Triumph T100 and does quite a lot of classic stuff. I'm sure he had someone doing his chroming for him.

Thanks for the tip, got to be worth a ring on Monday :icon_salut:

I've used these guys a few times, always spot on with the service too........

http://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/

Not too far from you either.

Archived