Ktm Lc4 640 Sm Wont Start

Richy

Mate has a LC4 which wont start of the button ( well, did for a while then wouldent), new plug, fresh petrol, carb cleaned out has a good spark just spins on the button and wont start, he said it starts with the kick start ok ( not tryed as i have a fucked knee). Tryed choke/ no choke/no throttle/some/lots of throttle, sometimes the plug is wet somtimes dry dosent mater what you do, petrol flowing to carb ok. any ideas?

Will be the valve clearances. the kicker has a bit more umph so will still start. Elecy boot is not man enough when they go out of tolerance.

Redo the valve clearance to tolerance to solve

Valves were gona be the next job, I was just hopeing the easy thing first that would fix it. Thanks.

When I had my LC4 engined SMC 625, plug caps were classed as consumable items, the vibrations of the engine killed them resulting in serious starting issues and very bad running.

£7 later for a new plug cap and all was well with the world again, for another 1000miles anyways.

Worth a try for the price?

yeah as said check the valve clearances (its piss easy to do and can be done in well under an hour)

has the frame been painted at all? if it has make sure where the subframe bolts to the frame under the tank is unpainted. its needs to be clean metal to earth everything properly.

interesting i have an old 2001 640 lc4 that ive had for a few years now and on the whole its been very reliable. it gets ridden through winter and has done about 30,000 miles since ive bought it. yes i had to replace the gearbox bearing (known issue on the early lc4 motor) but it didnt cost much and ive had the starter motor overhauled recently but other than that the only time its actually failed on me is where the ignition pick up failed. i replace the spark plug caps from time to time but thats normally because they get stuck in the head and i end up breaking them to get them out.

The battery seems OK, spins over OK, did all the earths etc first new plug has good spark. Gona do the valves today and hope that is the problem, Thanks.

Cheched valves they were OK, still wouldent start of the button started 3rd kick so decided to get it hot then found out the tickover wound up high so droped it down , then started to start of the button (for now!) also found out it has to much oil in it! we`ll see how it goes,

Well, bike started ok today for the first time looks like all it was was the tickover was up to high! I should of fired it up on the kickstart to begin with and not been lazy!!

Well, bike started ok today for the first time looks like all it was was the tickover was up to high! I should of fired it up on the kickstart to begin with and not been lazy!!

Well yer not as young as you used to be .........................

Archived