Petseal. Any Good? Any Alternatives?

tootall

As per title really. Leaky gpz tank that's been sealed in the past but now all the old sealant has flaked/cracked off and is tattling around in the tank. Am assuming this is due to poor application/cleaning and the fact the tank has been sat empty for a couple of years.

Really don't want to have to weld the tank if I can avoid it.

Have a look at Kreem, always had decent results with that. Of course none are a real substitute for a properly repaired tank.

Kreem is a three part jobbie, use it well and I've known it to last at least five years in some pretty ropey tanks.

Avoid petseal, it used to be good but the additives in unleaded can dissolve it, clogging up the fuel system. I've personally seen a few do that now.

Shame as it used to be very good stuff.

Cheers all. (not you beedub lol)

Have looked at that kreem stuff on eBay. Bit more expensive but a lot of hassle saved with the prep too. will give it a go.

Not used it myself but POR15 seems popular with the classic lads.

Proper removal of existing rust is essential though otherwise it will continue to rot and loosen any sealer you put in .

I was going to try electrolysis on an old tank I have .

I used electrolysis (as per rupe paul in the mag about a year back), just had a look on youtube, there's loads of slightly mental yank how to vids. I then used a POR15 bike kit, which is a cleaner (finished what the electrolysis left), a sort of etching prep, then the sealant itself. This was only about 5 months back, but so far the tank has survived a 600degC industrial arson attack without issue. Seriously.

Archived