Garage Security

Rompy McPoot

Now, I know I've started threads like this before, and I know I'm jumping the gun, as we haven't actually bought the house yet, and the last time I started a thread like this, the house fell through and I had a really shitty time of it, but hopefully we're going to be buying a new house soon, that has a large, detached garage (ahhh....).

So, my question is this - I'm probably going to replace the garage door (double width). What should I go for? I'm thinking sectional and insulated. Are they the most secure? What extra locks should I fit? I don't want to put a bar/post in front of it, as it will advertise the presence of goodies within, so it's low profile stuff only. I've had locks that send bolts into the floor/frame of the door in previous places, and rate them highly. What does the PB massive suggest? Also - security lights, or not? I think it's got an alarm, so hurrah for that, but ip webcams can be put in comparatively easily. Are they worth it, or do they just allow you to watch someone nick your stuff from a long way away? The garage is not attached to the house, and at the moment there is no gate at the end of the (short) drive in front of it, so that's going to be added too.

Any recommendations as to make? Or supplier/fitter? I'm in Nottingham.

Thanks all!

All it needs is an inspection pit. With Great Cthulhu dozing fitfully at the bottom.

Or shotgun cartridges on tripwires like that dude near me in Leeds years ago?

Oh, oh, I know! Sharks!

Erm, I'm not helping am I?

Mitch

Sharks, with frickn' lasers?

drevilf.jpg

I have two bell boxes on the outside of mine just in case they wipe one out, have another inside too, chain my steed down with two chains - disc lock also for some overkill.

I put the car up to the door at night and have security lights here at stalag kit-parts.

I may be being daft here, but what's a bell box...?

Rompy sweetness, if the thieving twunts want the contents of your mancave then there is cock all you can do about it… But making it as difficult for them as possible is a good thing. A scaffold bar across the door/doors at waist height will stop them getting anything out that way. A loud ultrasonic alarm placed out of reach (so they cant smash it) is also a bonus. I don't know what sort of area you live in but a long sweeping gravel drive and a dozen geese are an absolute winner!!

Oh… shotguns….lots of shotguns….mmm

• 2 weeks later...

I have a digital baby monitor in my garage with speaker by the bed which is fantastic but only if you are in when the scrotes attack...........also..'from painful previous experience' always always always remember to turn it off when you are in the garage with your mates and talking 'lads talk' :icon_salut:

Seriously though, can be bought for next to nothing on ebay and worth every penny

I have a 4 section wooden up and over door, very heavy and very secure. I also left the shitty old barn door style ones in front of the new one.

They cut out so much noise it's unreal. And even in the midst of winter the garage temp never drops below 15deg! :)

I've got dead locked gates, with a car parked in front which completely blocks the gates from being opened.

Behind the gate is a trailed which cant go anywhere unless the car is moved out of the driveway.

The garage door has a dead bolted swinging door and no windows so nobody knows whats inside.

Then inside the garage I've got kryptonite locks in the garage floor which admittedly I don't always use.

Best advise I can give is that there's no point having any security to stop them removing the bike once they are already in the garage. because more likely than not you will have an angle grinder on the bench that they can cut through most things with ;)

Archived